can iPad2 16gb be upgraded to 64gb

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kwray62, Nov 30, 2011.

1. kwray62 macrumors newbie

I can purchase a new iPad2 16gb for my husband for Christmas, with WiFi and IOS 5 ATT but know that he will want to upgrade to 64gb. is this possible?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. You cannot upgrade any iPad's storage capacity.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'd have to exchange th 16Gb for the bigger one.

4. kwray62 thread starter macrumors newbie

so better to wait and buy 64gb?

SO it's better to just give him gift card for what I can buy and let him buy the 64gb version?

----------

SO if funds were unlimited, what is the best to buy?

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

It depends. Would your husband use it while traveling a lot or will it be mainly used in a home/office etc where Wi-Fi is available? If it's going to be used while traveling then it might be worth looking at a 3G model note that your husband would have to pay for a data contract for this or get a pre paid data sim card.

Storage it depends on the person really and if they are going to load it up with lots of content such as Movies, TV Shows, Music, Apps.

I would say if it is mainly going to be used for apps and not lots of video content etc then 16GB should be enough for that but I would say that 32GB is the best option as at least with 32GB you may have more storage than you need but it's better to have too much storage than be wishing you had more.

64GB should only really be considered if you are a heavy content consumer with many Movies,TV Shows, Music etc loaded on the device in my opinion.

As for colour well that's personal preference.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I purchased a 32Gb model of the original iPad when it first came out and I have not used even half of the storage. I advise my friends and family to purchase the 16Gb model. My son of course did't listen and bought the 64gb model.

My iPad has 88 songs, 11 videos, 235 photos and 78 apps. Bear in mind that I have many more on my MacBook that can be moved to the iPad if I need to but I have no need to store everything on the iPad.

7. tips macrumors member

You can not upgrade it to 64gb,or 32gb.
    Otherway is get box.net free sign up , which will give you 50GB free space
    on cloud. So if your ipad is full .you can copy your context to box.net for free.
    But it needs wifi/3g connection for that to work.

8. crobbins macrumors 6502

Apps seem to be getting larger and larger. My 16GB has found itself full more than once now. I do keep a fair amount of photographs on it as well though..