Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Similar Question

I have a similar question...

I was thinking about getting an 8gb iPod touch, but since the iPhone 3g was announced, I was wondering...

Could I buy an iPhone 3g, 8gb, for $199, and cancel the data plan so it is only voice?

I do not want to pay $30/mo for 3g since I'm around a lot of free wifi, and if I can save $100 by buying the iPhone instead of the iPod touch, I'll do so in a heartbeat.

I realize that this will only provide speculation at this point until the iPhone 3g is actually released... just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

DCBass

Jun 16, 2008
Cant' one just take the SIM card out of their currant iPhone and put it into the new 3G? Then use the old iPhone as an iPod Touch...

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I have a similar question...

I was thinking about getting an 8gb iPod touch, but since the iPhone 3g was announced, I was wondering...

Could I buy an iPhone 3g, 8gb, for $199, and cancel the data plan so it is only voice?

I do not want to pay $30/mo for 3g since I'm around a lot of free wifi, and if I can save $100 by buying the iPhone instead of the iPod touch, I'll do so in a heartbeat.

I realize that this will only provide speculation at this point until the iPhone 3g is actually released... just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

DCBass

nobody knows yet. reportedly you could do is with the first gen, so there's hope at least....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.