Can iPhone be used as an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dd100, Jul 13, 2010.

1. dd100 macrumors newbie

My itouch died and my daughter gave an iPhone 2G. I would like to know if it can be used as and iPod Touch. If it can, How?

2. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Can you turn it on? BOOM ipod touch. Take the sim out too.

3. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

If you take the sim out, make sure you keep it; it is necessary for a full erase and restore. I would just leave it in (that's what I did).

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I put mine in airplane mode and enabled wifi.

5. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

If by 2G you mean the original iphone - you have to keep the SIM in the phone for it not to brick. I have one my husband uses currently as a touch.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Take sim out and turn on Airplane mode, tada.

7. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

DO NOT REMOVE THE SIM!

To continue using your original iPhone without active cellular service, leave the inactive SIM card in place. You will be able to use the iPhone as you would an iPod touch (Wi-Fi only, no cellular service) as long as you keep the SIM with which it was last used, even if you update or restore the operating system of the original iPhone.

Activation for an original iPhone requires that its SIM card stays with that iPhone. If the original iPhone displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen, you can use that SIM card to re-activate the iPhone, regardless of whether that SIM has a wireless service account/tariff still associated with it.

To re-activate an original iPhone that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

Reinsert the SIM card used when the original iPhone was activated and had a valid wireless service account/tariff.
    Connect the original iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.
    If that SIM was previously valid and used with that original iPhone, iTunes will re-activate the iPhone, but without any cellular service.

Additional Information

If you no longer have the SIM that was used with the original iPhone, and the original iPhone displays the "Connect To iTunes" screen, contact your carrier to get a replacement SIM.
    If you don't already have a wireless service account/tariff with that carrier, iTunes will help you create one.

The statement above is directly from Apple. You CAN remove the SIM if you have a 3G or 3GS but not the "2G" original iphone.