Can iPhone suddenly get locked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickkedd, May 22, 2014.

1. wickkedd macrumors newbie

I purchased an iphone online through kijiji in Canada, and it was sealed, unused. I opened the phone, insert a rogers sim card, and it worked. I then inserted a fido sim card, and that worked too, which confirmed the phone was unlocked.

I gave it to my wife to take overseas, and when she went to a different country and insert a SIM, it shows the invalid sim / locked message. Is that possible? Can the phone suddenly become locked? When I went to the apple support site, it says the phone technical support warranty has expired. Will this count as a chargable support option if I were to call Apple? I am lost, so any guidance would really help. Thanks!

I then went on imei.info, and it pulled the following details:

serialNumber : XXXXXXXXX
    partDescription : IPHONE 5S SPACE GRAY 16GB-CAN
    imeiNumber : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    initialActivationPolicyDetails : Canada N41 Rogers Fido Flex Activation Policy
    initialActivationPolicyID : 2097
    unlocked : false
    unlockDate :
    warrantyStatus : Apple Limited Warranty
    coverageStartDate : 12/31/13
    coverageEndDate : 12/30/14
    daysRemaining : 223
    PurchaseDate : 12/31/13
    purchaseCountry : Canada
    registrationDate : 12/30/13
    productDescription: iPhone 5S
    nextTetherPolicyID: 24
    nextTetherPolicyDetails:Canada Rogers.
    appliedActivationPolicyID:24
    appliedActivationDetails:Canada Rogers.
    unbricked : true
    firstUnbrickDate : 12/31/13
    lastUnbrickDate : 12/31/13
    meid :
    iccID : XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    productVersion : 7.0.3
    macAddress : XXXXXXXXXX
    bluetoothMacAddress:AXXXXXXXXX
    Simlock:Locked

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Are you sure that she hasn't simply entered her PIN yet?

3. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am sure; even when we connect to Itunes, it says to insert a valid sim and that the phone is locked. Also, if you look at my message above, and what I received from IMEI.info, it says SIMLOCK status: locked

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

My guess is that your phone was never unlocked. Since Rogers owns Fido I'm assuming they use the same towers and either SIM will work in the iPhone. Once a phone is unlocked it stays unlocked, so my opinion is that your iPhone was never unlocked.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Sounds like its not an unlocked iphone.
    Did you purchase it as a factory unlocked unit or just assumed because rogers and fido worked its unlocked for every gsm carrier?

6. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

But apparantly a fido sim will not work in a rogers locked iphone and vice-versa, although rogers is the parent company. Could I call apple on this? Would they be willing to look into this, although technical phone support has expired? Are there other options to contact them?

7. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Apple is not going to complete the unlock for you it is up to the phone company it was locked to. If you purchased it as an unlocked iPhone, you can probably take it up as a dispute with the person you purchased it through the auction site.

----------

Also, from your posted IMEI info, it states; Rogers Fido Flex Activation Policy.

I don't know if that is why both SIM cards worked in the iPhone

8. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

hmm it does seem like an unlocked phone. I've heard that carriers like AT&T will unlock your phone over the phone if you are out of contract. If so, you should look into calling your carrier and see if they will. Are you in the US? or International? A friend from Australia told me that all he had to do was call and ask to unlock his phone.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OP is in Canada. They need to contact Rogers about unlocking it. As long as it's off contract it's $50 to do the deed.

10. 869639 macrumors 6502

Your iPhone is definitely not unlocked, Remember Rogers owns Fido, so its possible that they may now allow Rogers phones on Fido and vice versa (maybe there was a glitch in the system when you tested it), Also I don't know how much of it is true but its happened to be where I used a iPhone also purchased on Kijiji on Virgin Mobile Canada and then used it on Fido for 2 months...only to have the iPhone lock to Fido and because I had a account with Fido at the time, I was able to request the unlock with my account.

Strange thing was that the iPhone worked fine with AT&T and Virgin Mobile for over 6 months and then once I started using Fido for a couple of months, It got locked to Fido.

Now I just buy my iPhones from Apple Store to rid of any confusion and problems

----------

Apple will not help you in anyway at all, they will tell you to call the carrier.

If you are not a Rogers Customer then your only other option is 3rd party. As your iPhone is now officially locked to Rogers --- See "Initial Activation Policy" and "Applied Activation Policy"