Can iPhone sync with iPod cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Patchfoo, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Patchfoo macrumors member

My iPhone came with somewhat different connector cables so I don't know if I would get full use of my iPhone with just my regular old iPod cable. Does anyone know if that will work (syncing and charging are what I want)?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Old iPod cables work with my touch so It should be the same with the iPhone. they just made it look slightly different there is no difference in the actual cable though.

3. Patchfoo thread starter macrumors member

Hmm but there are some differences between the touch and the iPhone.. does the touch come with a dock? I was caught off-guard when I saw the free dock in the package - I thought it might have something to do with being required.

4. hidehide macrumors 6502

I just look at the charger included in my iphone, its written for ipod, and nothing mentioned about iphone...

5. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I wouldn't be worried at all if your using the cable via a USB port on your computer. It's pretty much the same cable. the iPod cable and the iPhone cable

Maybe, I might start to question whether it's 100% safe to use and older iPod AC charger on the iPhone only because there maybe some differences in the voltage of the output on those units. That said I'd probably end up pluging into the AC charger anyway.

The only compatibility issues your going to see are when trying to play audio or video via the iPhone connector through just any old iPod type cable.

In this case the Cable has to built to work with iPhone.

6. mackk macrumors member

I've used the cable that came with 1st generation ipod nano several times. Worked perfectly. It's nice not to have to switch back and forth between cables.

I think as long as it's a usb cable it's ok. I have an older firewire ipod cable (2nd gen?). I doubt those work with an Iphone, as they don't even work with a nano.

7. chrisbac macrumors newbie

iPhone WILL chanrge with firewire

I just got off the phone with Apple iPhone Support. They said directly that the iPhone with either a Firewire adapter connected to a computer or to the wallwort for firewire will work to charge the iPhone, but not sync. The official apple support page says Firewire is for charging only, but does not mention the wallwort specifically. So, apple support believes it will work to charge.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep, even firewire will charge an iPhone.

If anyone needs a car charger for iPhone:
    http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-PowerPod-Firewire-Charger/dp/B00016V3VI

$1.79. If you have prime free shipping, it's a real bargain! I got 2 of them! One for each car. Talk about a cheap way to get power to your iPhone in the car. Old Firewire charger that includes firewire to dock cable. I got mine the other day, and they even come in very nice boxes. I can tell where they would have cost $20-$30 originally.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I haven't even taken my iPhone cable out of the box.

I use the iPod touch cable on my desk.

And then older iPod cables upstairs, in my computer bad, and with the iPhone ac wall adapter.

I also use an older iPod car charger, I don't think it charges very quick, but it keeps the battery stable.

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I just plugged the iPhone into the dock that I use for my 5g video and it works just fine. I got a msg that it wasnt made for the iPhone but it connected and synced without an issue. And just to check it worked the other way with plugging the iPod into the iPhone cable and all is good.