Can iPhone users upgrade whenever a new iPhone comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessay, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jessay macrumors member

Just curious. I had the 3GS for 5 months before the iPhone 4 came out. Surprisingly, I was able to upgrade, but AT&T renewed my contract (which I was totally fine with). I would like to get the 4s, but I don't want to be stuck with it when the 5 comes out...

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It depends on how much you pay for your iPhone line, and how generous AT&T is.

3. mopppish macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think I shot myself in the foot. I bought and iPhone 4 within the first month of its release.
    Over the summer (since that was when I anticipated a new iPhone would be announced), I checked my eligibility and I was eligible for a full upgrade.
    Now, however, my upgrade eligibility shows up as 3/12/2012.
    I assumed it was a mistake at first, but then I remembered that when my girlfriend moved to Ireland last month for grad school, I changed my plan from family to individual. That must have reset my eligibility. Damn!
    Otherwise, I was planning to upgrade since selling your old phone almost always means you'll break even IF you're eligible for a full upgrade discount.
    I would expect that buying now would mean that you're eligible for the very next iPhone, as has been the case for the last few releases.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It probably didn't reset your eligibility per se, it's just that people who spend over $100/line with AT&T get upgrades every year, while people who spend less get them every 18-24 months.

5. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Well I here in Canada am technically bound to my iPhone for the duration of my contract which is three years (I'm with Fido). So technically I have to wait until next September to upgrade from my iPhone 3G but I believe I can do it within the last six months of my contracts which means I can upgrade in early April. Unless I but the phone outright I'll have to wait.

6. Jessay thread starter macrumors member

This may be true. I have no idea why I am always able to upgrade when the new iPhone comes out. Ex: bought the 3GS, and had it for about 5 months until the iPhone 4 came out. Surprisingly, I was able to upgrade. I have had my iPhone 4 for 16 months. Again, I am eligible for an upgrade.

7. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Same with me. I'm upgrading now to the 4S from the 4 and hopefully I'll be eligible again for the 6, which I think they'll call HD.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I always upgrade my personal line via early upgrade whenever a new iPhone is released. (449/549/649)