Can iPhone's GPS work off-network?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by longshadows, Oct 6, 2009.

1. longshadows macrumors newbie

longshadows

I've read a bunch of posts, but they all go off on downloading maps, the difference between A-GPS and GPS, etc. I'd just like a simple answer to what I hope is a simple question:

Can the GPS feature on the iPhone 3GS work when away from the AT&T network? (under any circumstances)

I don't need map access, just data coordinates. I travel in a lot in rural areas, where AT&T has no service whatsoever (much less 3G) and I need to note the GPS coordinates of points I visit. (I have a little App, "GeoQuick" that gives the lat/long, which is all I want.)

Is there any way to do this, when I'm not on the AT&T network?

Thanks... :rolleyes:

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

GPS worked fine for me in Europe last summer while data roaming was switched off. No new maps could be loaded of course, but the GPS data were collected. I know for sure because I loaded Google maps while on Wi-Fi, and I could follow my movements on those maps, so long as I didn't need to load new ones.

So it would work with maps that are loaded into memory, rather than needing to be loaded over the air. I also have a GPS tagging application for photographs, and that works fine too, even though you can't see where you are on a map while data is off.

3. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

Yes GPS works fine without a network connection. You will just be unable to get any map data that is not already saved on the phone. It'll be fine for just getting coordinates though.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

The compass app will give you your co-ordinates, no data download needed.