Can iPhoto be disabled?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GovtLawyer, Mar 11, 2009.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

When I get my Imac, tomorrow, I'll be putting Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop Elements on it. I've been using Elements as an organizer and for editing/projects for years and I like it very much. Lightroom will be my advanced photo exposure editor. I'm a PC person, so I'll be feeling my way around the Mac for awhile.

The way I understand it, when importing files, OS X puts them in folders depending on type. For music files going into iTunes, that's fine with me, as I have an iPod and that's a logcal place for them. However, if I import into a Photo folder, will that be the same as importing into iPhoto, and will iPhoto automatically open up whenever I work with photo files? Can I import into a photo folder and bypass iPhoto?

On the other hand, if I simply wanted to view a few photos without working on them, any photo viewer will do. So, I may at times wish to look at photos in iPhoto (much the same way as I used the Windows Fax and Photo Viewer). There may be times when I download a photo from a friend or just want to view photos on a CD, without copying them to my computer.

So, how would iPhoto work alongside my other photo software?

Hope I was clear on this.

thanks,
    Steven

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The iPhoto folder only opens in iPhoto, so if you will not be using iPhoto, just delete it. Then all your pictures will be stored in your pictures folder or whatever folder you designate.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, iPhoto will only organize your photos if you import them into iPhoto. Don't try to use iPhoto for quick picture viewing. That's not what it's for. For single images Preview will work plenty fine or even the quick view. Google's Picasa is OK for photo viewing, but I think it still needs some work for Mac.

4. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Good Advice

I think my brain is going into overload. I thought the iPhoto Folder and the pictures folder were one and the same. I'd much prefer to keep the photos in a generic pictures folder. Will the photos appear in the same file structure as I have on my PC; a hierarchy of folders and sub folders and then files?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iPhoto folder and Pictures folder are separate, though I think iPhoto folder is inside the Pictures folder. I think I deleted iPhoto so can't check (I dislike iPhoto). Your files will retain their hierarchy unless you change them. The Mac won't modify anything unless you do so yourself.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OS X doesn't "import files", applications do.

If you have iTunes set up to manage your files and you import Music it will organise their location for you under ~/Music/iTunes.

If you import photos using iPhoto it will import them to an iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures.

If you're not using iPhoto, it has nothing to do with anything. It's just an application. You either use it or you don't. If you don't want iPhoto, throw it in the Trash.

iPhoto is not an alternative to Windows Fax and Photo Viewer. It is not a simple Viewer. Preview (built in) or Xee (google it) are good alternatives.

7. fishcove Guest

You might want to configure iPhoto so it doesn't launch when you connect your camera.

In iPhoto Preferences look for "Camera Connect Launches" (or something similar) and select "No Application"

You can put your photos wherever you like and view them in Preview.

As others have mentioned, iPhoto is intended to manage all your images and is not a great way to casually preview individual photos.