can iphoto do this, and if not, any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hyeok, Jul 11, 2007.

1. hyeok macrumors member

I do not have a Mac yet, but I am buying one soon and the following feature is very important to me:

Because I have many photos, far more than I can store on my harddrive, I burn them off to DVD-Rs. Is iPhoto able to keep track of which photos I've burned to which discs? For example, I want iPhoto to keep thumbnails of every picture, and if I happen to click on one that is not on the HDD but burned to a disc, I want it to tell me, "This picture is on Photo Disc 2 you burned on July 4th 2007" or something like that. Does iPhoto do this? If not, does anyone know of alternative mac photo apps that do this?

Thanks.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

iPhoto Keeps the thumbnails but when you click on the thumbnails burned to DVD's, a square appears with an exclamation mark in the center.

Hope that helps,

AMS

3. hyeok thread starter macrumors member

so iphoto will let me burn pictures to discs, keep track of which pictures I've burned, and yet still maintain the lower quality thumbnails on my HDD?

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

It will not keep track(I think) of them it will store the thumbnails.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

You could keep a Disk Tracker data base of all your disks (I keep one for my DVD backups in case I only need to restore a particular file, I know where it is).

6. hyeok thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping for a more elegant solution, where the photo manger itself would keep track of discs, and display thumbnails. I've done some searching and it looks like Shoebox does this? Could anyone who uses shoebox testify to the quality of this feature in the program?

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

How about using an external hard drive, and just keeping all of your photos there? Or you could create a second library (or third, or fourth, etc.) and keep the most recent ones on the internal and the older ones on the external. Then they's all be together and no need to keep track of where they are.

8. hyeok thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion, but I think I prefer to have the pictures on DVDs in case the hard drive fails. So does anyone use shoebox?

9. rlandrigan macrumors newbie

What you need is something like Extensis Portfolio - they have a 30 day trial available, for both windows and mac - worth trying before buying.