Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
As the iPod 30 & 60 Gig doesn't have flash hard drive like the Nano does but a regular hard drive do you have to be careful not to damage it by bumping it?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes. It can damage it. I have a dead 40gb 4th gen model sitting right next to me that stopped working after one too many falls on the the ground.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Keep it away from magnets. It's surpising how many people don't know that speakers are magnets. I know people who think that a subwoofer (the biggest magnet you can find in a speaker) makes a great table for an iPod.

Also, if you buy a iSkin made by the actual brand iSkin, not just the cheap rip-offs, they absorb a lot of shock if you're careless and drop it. Just "bumping" an iPod won't hurt it. People jog with them and it doesn't hurt them, just don't drop it, crush it, or put it by magnets.

Daniel.

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
My iPod disk crashed 'unhappy Mac' and it did not fall! I do have a good case as well. The experience at the Apple store was very pleasent.

(expect it back tomorrow since it is still under warranty, Oct. last year.)

Mark43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Thanks all. So jogging and stuff is okay then. That's good to know. That's the main thing I'm concerned about. I'll try and avoid the dropping stuff!
Yes, Matthew, he is isn't he?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.