Can iPod Touch 'show' Keynote Presentations?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MacAndy74, May 15, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Ok. So it may be a really silly question, but I like the idea of being able to do presentations with Keynote and not MS Powerpoint; and I thought someone someplace, sometime :eek: may have mentioned to me that it is possible to connect an iPod Touch to a projector (somehow) and run a Keynote presentation from it? :confused:

2. villageindian macrumors member

You cannot directly do that using the iPod Touch completely. You can do one of the following:

1. Install a disk-sharing app like Air Sharing or Files and upload the files to the directories under those apps. They support .key files as well as other formats. You can show the presentation to others but it is limited to the small viewing screen.

2. You can export Keynote to movie formats and sync them within iTunes. Then you can see them. As above, you can show the presentation to others but it is limited to the small viewing screen.

3. If you have iWork '09, then install Keynote Remote which allows to control your presentation on the laptop/desktop. However, you need to be on the same Wi-Fi network as it uses Bonjour to advance/retract to slides. This is the closest to what you wanted.

It is possible that the new mobile OS 3.0 will support additional hardware (like the diabetic slideshow) that will allow you to connect external hardware to the Touch. But that will occur after some time unless Apple releases the info to manufacturers. I do remember David Pogue reviewing the Optoma pico projector but it will display only movies, not Web pages, from the iPod Touch. Not sure about presentations.

Edit: Found this

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks villageindian. Seems to me, at least with the current iPod Touch it's just a little too much work and experimentation ATM. And I don't have a MB or MBP - although I am considering one very seriously. :)

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe you can connect an iPod touch to a proper projector via the Apple Component AV Cable. If you export your Keynote to Quicktime, and sync that to your touch, it might work. I've never tried this so I'm not certain it's possible, and if it is, you basically get a video with very little presentation control. Like you don't really get to control the transition to the next slide. That's probably not what you were looking for, was it?