Can it do this?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BritinNC, Apr 12, 2015.

1. BritinNC macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can use the watch while using the iPhone?

Here is the scenario:

I'm on the phone to my wife and she tells me to pick up some milk on the way home. Normally I'd have to remember to set up a reminder when I hang up from the phone or fumble with speakerphone, etc. With :apple:Watch can I just now say "Hey Siri, remind me to pick up some milk" while I'm on the phone and it adds a reminder.

I suspect there are other situations like this where you might want to perform actions on the watch while using the phone, but I don't think I have seen anywhere if this is possible.

2. wbitsky macrumors member

The watch face needs to be on in order for "hey Siri" to work.

In addition, you need either a wifi or cellular data connection, which you might not have if you have an older CDMA iPhone

Otherwise you should be able to do what you described :)

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

4. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Sadly my iPhone 6 on Verizon doesn't have data and voice at the same time. I can enable voice over LTE but it messes up call a lot since LTE is very weak on the trains.

5. BritinNC thread starter macrumors regular

My interest is whether the phone can handle watch requests while it is dedicated to another task (i.e the phone call). I seem to remember seeing somewhere that if you have your phone open then notifications are not sent to the watch. My question is whether the phone can 'walk and chew gum' in that it can be on a phone call and multi-task to handle a Siri request from the watch that adds a reminder?

Assuming you have an iPhone 5, 6 and a plan that allows voice and data simultaneously.

6. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Happily I have AT&T, I look stuff up during phone calls all the time. Yes, no notifications while using the phone (hmmm maybe an option to allow them through if TALKING on the phone). BUT, I am sure at least on AT&T I should be able to use functions while talking. That is assuming I am talking on speakerphone. I don't have 3 hands.

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Not on sprint either #

But we do have wifi calling #