Can iTether be used with an iPhone and iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Laserawesome, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Laserawesome macrumors member

Does anyone know about the iTether software?

http://mashable.com/2012/03/11/iphone-ipad-tetherin/

I'm wondering if I can tether my iPad to the iPhone, instead of just computer to iPhone.

----------

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just did more research on this and I found out that you cannot use this to tether from iphone to ipad, but now I wonder if I can use this to turn my computer to a mobile hotspot. IOW- tether my phone to my computer then tether the ipad to computer.

2. ericvictor macrumors newbie

If you have an iPhone 4 (not sure if 3GS can do it or if it came with iOS 4+) or later there is an option in Settings to turn on 'Personal Hotspot'. Once you turn this on you can tether your iPad to your iPhone. No need to download any new application

- your iPad will see your iPhone through wifi settings as if it were a regular wifi hotspot
    - your iPad will use your phone's data plan
    - tethering usually costs extra money (some plans come with it) and not support by all carriers (depending on your country)

Hope this helps and what you were asking for lol

3. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

I currently have unlimited data for 30 bucks, if I switch to the mobile hotspot I have to pay 50 bucks and only get 5GB. I'm trying to take advantage of what I already have. If I switch to the 50 dollar plan I lose the unlimited plan forever since they don't offer it anymore and I'm grandfathered in.

4. ericvictor, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

ericvictor macrumors newbie

That's what I'm saying. I'm not telling you to switch your plan. If you turn on 'Personal Hotspot' on your phone it will take advantage of your phones unlimited data plan. Your iPad will use your phones data plan. I don't think turning on Personal Hotspot on your phone is the same as using your providers 'mobile hotspot' plan.

Now I'm not sure if your unlimited data plan allows tethering though...but maybe it works differently in your region.

When you say unlimited data for 30$ thats for your phone plan?

5. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

When I say "mobile hotspot" I mean the tethering plan for my phone, not a separate mobile hotspot device. I pay for my phone service, 30 bucks, then on top of that I pay 30 bucks more for data. My phone bill is $60+ whatever extra fees total they hide in there and includes unlimited data on my phone. This plan is no longer available if you try to get it today, but I have it because I signed up for it 2 years ago and my contract is still valid. If I switch plans now, I can't go back to my old plan.

Because I have unlimited data on my phone they won't let me turn on the tethering feature unless I switch to a metered plan. The cheapest metered plan that allows tethering is 50 dollars. This plan only allows 5GB of data.

So the total bill would be $80 a month for tethering and 5GB of data instead of $60 for unlimited data and no tethering.

The question: is it worth it to lose the unlimited data plan but gain tethering for 20 dollars a month extra? I say its not. So I'm looking for a solution where I can keep the old 60 dollar a month rate BUT still tether.

One solution is software called iTether. It gets around the At&t block on tethering and allows anyone to tether their phone to a computer without changing plans. This software doesn't support phone to ipad connections yet.

The other solution is to jailbreak the iphone and use an unsupported app to tether my phone to my ipad. The problem here is that my iphone is running iOS 5.1 and so far there is no way to jailbreak that OS.

So I'm looking for another solution- could I somehow go iphone to computer to ipad using iTether? That could work maybe, but at that point why bother with the iPad? I might as well just use the computer to do whatever.
    Anyone else trying to do this?

6. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

If you jailbreak and use Tetherme you can connect your iPad to the Internet via your iPhone. Tethering runs the risk of your carrier catching you and adding it to your account, but light use will probably keep you ok.

7. Delsin macrumors newbie

possible solution

Hey Laserawesome,

I was wondering the same question. Initially, my belief is that you cannot tether your iPad wifi to your iPhone because the tether.com service is really meant to allow you to tether your laptop to your iPhone through an ad-hoc network that runs off your laptop.

The only way around this that I could think of is if you tethered your iPhone to a laptop computer via an ad-hoc network & the tether.com service and then connect your iPad wifi to that same ad-hoc network. This would ultimately mean you have to carry around a laptop computer with you to allow iPad to iPhone tethering but it may be solution.

I will be purchasing an iPad soon so I update here to see what happens when I test this out.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In regions (like the US) where some plans come with tethering as a feature and some do not, if one does not have the correct plan, when one tries to turn this feature on, after the device connects with the server, a message comes up indicating that the plan must be changed to activate the feature....

9. Laserawesome thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'm curious to see your result.