Can iTunes do this?..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bensparrow, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bensparrow macrumors newbie

So Im seriously getting into building up my iTunes library from my CD collection, and I'm wondering if anyone can answer the following for me..

Basically I want to know if iTunes can list the same track under different albums without the need to duplicate the file and take up memory space.. So for example, I hypothetically have all the full studio albums Christina Aguilera has released in my iTunes (hypothetically of course!..) and I now want to add her recently brought out Greatest Hits CD, is it possible to compile the GH from the relevant tracks from her other albums along with the new material so that her Greatest Hits appears alongside all the other albums in my iTunes BUT without duplicating the songs, so like utilising a shortcut or something from the Greatest Hits to the relevant song on the relevant album.. Does that make sense?

Another example, again hypothetically using Christina Aguilera is for her song 'Nobody Wants To Be Lonely' with Ricky Martin.. Is it possible to have the song listed under both artists, but again without duplicating the file twice and taking up memory space.. So a similar situation just across artists instead of across albums..

If anyone gets what the hell I'm on about, is there anyway to do this in iTunes?..

Regards
    A definitely not Christina fan!.. ;)

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

As far as I know, no.
    Thought it might work by creating an alias to the file and putting in the second album's folder, but just tried and it doesn't seem to work.

Oh and change your thread title :)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Harddrive =/= memory

Storage space is cheap, even for loseless music it's not really worth the time trying to make aliases (oh that's right windows users alias= shortcuts), etc to do such a thing.

Yes you can have multiple artists under a song.

and NO you do not want to "organize" your collection manually, that is so 1990s. iTunes uses a real time searchable database and is way better for most users than regular file based organization scheme.

Sidetrack:
    Note that with windows if you move a file that has a shortcut, the shortcut will no longer work.
    On a Mac an alias will keep track of the file no matter where you move it.

So shortcuts are not really good for the type of thing you want to do, unless you never change your computer. In other words, get iTunes and take 10 minutes to learn it. You'll save much more time in the long run.