Can iTunes get any worse?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFEPPL, Jan 8, 2015.

1. AFEPPL, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Seems to be another bug in iTunes - you now can't update the artwork to anything you've added yourself if your iTunes library exists on external/NAS storage. (it does work OK if your library is locally stored - i tested that). This program has to be the most clunky anal sucking piece of code ever released by anyone. I don't recall the last time it was working - looks like Nov based on my files dates.

Anyone know if was an Mavericks or iTunes update that broke this?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I have my iTunes library on an external NAS and just updated some artwork I added yesterday.

3. SandboxGeneral, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My library is on an external drive and I update my artwork a lot; no problems for me.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm still on 10.7 and have no problems. Since I have no ios devices, I will never upgrade. What I have works for me. The newer iTunes suck..

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not happy about some of the changes they made in the latest iTunes version, but it still works. I prefer the sidebar on the left to be there with all the options it used to have.

6. AFEPPL thread starter macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

USB would be ok is what i can see, but if your library is external it won't work as far as i can see. I've found a post on apple lots of others have the same issue when using NAS.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

What are you trying to say? That sentence doesn't make sense to me. USB is OK but external is not? Several posters have already said their iTunes media is on an external NAS and they don't have problems. Count me in the group too.

8. AFEPPL thread starter macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No one said NAS, just "external". it a bug, the software is simply poor and the testing even worse.
    USB would be considered a local drive and would not be running over the IP stack.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6606000?start=0&tstart=0

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Not sure about this bug, but to answer your question; yes, it can get worse. It likely will. It's really a pig of a program, especially with large libraries or god forbid on a PC.

----------

Someone said it; oh wait, it was you :)

"Seems to be another bug in iTunes - you now can't update the artwork to anything you've added yourself if your iTunes library exists on external/NAS storage"

10. mic j macrumors 68030

So what to you consider "external"? Isn't a drive connected to a router "external"?

11. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    I'm running latest iTunes on 10.9.5, have my library on an external drive & am not having this problem.
    Apart from that I agree... the latest iTunes is just an abomination. It is so incredible how much of a retrograde 'update' it actually is. One of the single least intuitive apps I've ever used.
    I get that it needed an overhaul as it was getting pretty tired but the stuff they have done is just stupid.
    Are Apple now assuming that every desktop user really, really wants their desktop machine to work like a giant iPhone?
    Amazes me how much they are dumbing down the OS. I would have thought a smart company would make the iOS smarter not the other way around...

12. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Save from some of the glitches, I actually quite like the new iTunes.