Can itunes itemd you donwload expire or be pulled back?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arcadie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Arcadie macrumors regular

Ok This may sound like a very odd question, but their is reason i am asking.

Lets say itunes allowed you to download something for free. Let say a TV Show. Is it possible for them to have that show expire after so many days?

Example: Sally wants to watch a episode of Gilmore Girls in which itunes is broadcasting for free. However after she downloads it, she can only watch it for 5 days before it will expire and she can no longer watch it. Now lets say she watches it and wants to download another episode. But, Before she can do that, she must end here ability to watch her current episode before she can watch the next one for free.

Sort of like blockbusters monthly rental program. You can watch as many movies per month as you want but you must bring the movie back before checking out any more.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Unless you rent something from the iTunes store, it never expires.

3. kolax macrumors G3

I downloaded the free episode of Peep Show S06E01. Doesn't have an expire date.

4. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

Renting is basically what im talking about. You can rent shows now, but they dont stay on in your itunes library and you can not watch them forever. What im talking about is going one step further and allowing the customer to "return" a specific item. And their may be a limit on how many you can have out at once. so you must "return" some before you download others.

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

You can rent movies, which expire, but you cannot rent TV Shows. If you buy an episode, you have it forever.

Apple currently does not use the "return" system you described.

6. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry i think i was a bit unclear. I realize their is no "Return" feature but how far fetched is this idea? would it be simple for apple to integrate this feature into their itunes store?

7. kolax macrumors G3

Why?

Are you thinking along the lines of having the BBC iPlayer embedded within iTunes?

8. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

Nope :) Sorry, to be "secret". Its just an idea i have had for a while. Its something Google has been trying to do for a long time but have been failing at it because of leagal reasons. However im pretty sure i have come up with a completely leagal way (even ran it by my uncles law professor and he seems to think its a good idea) to accomplish what google has failed at.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Okay, sounds cool.

Back to your sandpit now, eh? :)

10. Arcadie thread starter macrumors regular

haha you got it!

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The technology for that certainly exists now, but I'm not aware of it being implemented anywhere.

12. chappy87 macrumors regular

Where did you find season 6??!!

13. kolax macrumors G3

My bad. lol.

14. chappy87 macrumors regular

15. kolax macrumors G3

Series 6 is still being filmed.

Hopefully it'll be on our screens come this summer! Can't wait, I love Peep Show!

Guess 'That Mitchell and Webb Look' will do until then. That's numberwang :D

16. chappy87 macrumors regular

I'm hoping for earlier than that- Olivia Coleman said back in October that the new series was in post-production, so fingers crossed!

Back on topic- no, when you buy something from the iTunes store, i.e hit the "Buy" rather than "Rent" button and download the file to your computer for that "Buy" price, it'll be yours to enjoy for the foreseeable future!