Can iTunes recognize 2 or more external drives if 1 wont hold everything ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EarthDawn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I want to move my movies to an external drive... BUT I want to be able to stack 2 - 500 gb external drives as 500gb wont do it and id rather NOT use 1 tera byte drive....

is it possible to do this so that if i need to add a 3rd drive in the future I can have them all work together ??????

THANK YOU !

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Only recognises one disk… :(
    Why not a terrabyte HDD?

3. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I guess it just scares me to have that much on 1 drive... if it dies... UGH !!!!... and if only 1 of 2 or 3 500gb drives dies it would not be as bad...

AND ,.... when i do have more then a terrabyte of movies... well... then what do I do ... lol

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Multiple libraries maybe?

5. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I dont know a great deal about setting up and using RAIDs, but this could be the kind of situation that it could work well in? Look into it at least (via google i suspect)

6. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Quite a few of the external 1 TB drives are in fact 2 500GB drives working in tandem. ie. this buffalo 1TB unit. Buffalo-DriveStation-DUO-HD-W1-0IU2-R1-Firewire

It allows you to have mirrored, striped or in your case, one big logical drive. If one fails then you've lost the data on that one only.

Cheers
    M.

7. eagle6611 macrumors newbie

you may want to search the apple tv forum but you can store your movies on a drive separate from your main library file. I think you have to turn off the preference in iTunes that copies music to your iTunes folder when adding to your library. That way you can keep your movies on their own drive or multiple drives. If you don't want to change the preference I believe you can just hold down the option (or is it apple key?) when dragging a movie into your library and iTunes will leave the file in its current location while adding to the library. I am not an expert in this so like I said search the forums and you will find some threads on people talking about how their movie library is setup. I plan on doing this myself as my 500 GB is close to capacity. Hope this helps.

8. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Bingo. I have my ripped music on one drive, ripped movies on another drive, and my podcasts and other downloaded contact on my iMac's hard drive. Works without any issue.