Can iTunes recognize a CD if it's in another folder in the Music folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steven314, Feb 25, 2008.

1. steven314 macrumors newbie

Checked around and didn't find an exact version of this question:

Previously, I had my music stored in two places: my hard drive and an external drive.

I grew out of the external drive, so I moved the external files to a much larger external drive. I am now in the process of moving my hard drive files onto the new external drive.

However, I've run into my only major issue with Macs: the fact that identically named folders are replaced, rather than merged.

So for example, let's say I have a Wilco folder on my external drive. I also have a Wilco folder on my hard drive, with different albumss. I can't just move the hard drive folder onto the external drive, because I will lose half of my Wilco albums (all the external drive albums).

I recognize I can just do this one at a time, moving the albums into the Wilco folder on my hard drive. But I have several dozen GB of mp3s . . . it could take weeks.

Is there any quicker way to merge the two drives without deleting any files?

Steven

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The title of this thread doesn't seem to have much to do with what you're asking, FYI. There is software out there than can merge folders. I was reading about one just the other day in fact... ah here it is, Changes. I don't know if there are free ones out there, might be. My choice would be to just do it manually. I don't think it would take as long as you think, but I don't know how you have your music organized either.