Can iTunes see iPhone using FIREWIRE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by legaleye3000, Oct 8, 2007.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm using an adapter to plug into my Macbook Pro's firewire port to charge. It charges, but iTunes can't see the phone unless plugged in through USB. Just wondering if there is a workaround? Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

The last few generations of iPods can only charge via FireWare. Haven't seen any workarounds. Would assume the iPhone is the same. :(

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No, actually the last few generation of iPods CAN'T charge via firewire.
    Same with iPhone.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The iPhone can charge via Firewire.
    Can not connect to iTunes through Firewire.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It'll work for charging only, because that's hardwired to the battery through the dock connector. The power pins are constant (as you'd expect--otherwise plugging in the wrong cable would cook your iPod/iPhone). The data pins are also constant, but the problem is that there's no FW hardware inside to "talk Firewire" to the computer.

There can be no workaround for something that just isn't there. The one possible solution is a translator with a USB input and a FW output, but the cost simply would not be worth it, since it would require the translator to act more or less like a full blown computer thanks to USB's fundamental design limitations.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I thought the word was that the FW chargers use a different voltage or something that the USB ones and shouldn't be used on the iPhone.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Most of the posters are correct. There isn't a firewire bus inside the iPhone to control it, but the power pins and both USB and FW cords are the same, so it will charge.

Not a damn thing to be hacked here. You can't modify what isn't even there.

I've resorted to using my old firewire cords with power adapters and reserving the USB for syncing purposes.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Actually the voltages for FW can occupy a much wider range than USB. But the dock connector uses separate pins for USB and FW power. So if Apple didn't want them to charge via FW they could easily just disconnect those pins from the dock and a FW cable would do no damage.

9. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I"m using SendStation's firewire adapter to plug into my Macbook Pro... Is charging it that way not recommended? Thanks

10. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My 5.5G charges through my girlfriend's 3G iPod firewire cable...

12. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

My 2G Nano charges too, but it won't sync, which is also displayed on the display when you connect a fw cable.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Dock connector pinout

For anyone who questions whether or not FireWire battery charging is recommended or harmful, check out the link above.

The FireWire and USB provide their power on completely separate pins. If Apple did not intend for the FireWire interface to recharge the battery, then they would not have routed the FireWire power pins. Since the iPhone does charge via FireWire Apple must have routed the FW power to the battery charging circuitry knowing full well that the interface would only be used if a FW cable were present.

Charging your iPhone via FW is not harmful in any way. If it were an unacceptable method for charging the iPhone would just lay like a lump when connected to FW instead of charging.

14. adib macrumors regular

adib

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Didn't actually happen or there was a short in the device otherwise that caused the problem. I know because I use by iTrip Auto that only has FW power on it, and don't have any issues, except that the iPhone doesn't charge.

TEG

16. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

People still use Firewire?

Laugh. Might as well as break out the parallel ports.

17. prestomusic macrumors regular

:confused:

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

dumb question..

why buy an adapter to use on the iPhone when your MBP has USB to charge your iPhone?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You all do know that this thread is 4 years old.

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

haha I didn't even notice

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Except that Firewire is vastly superior, and faster than USB.

Because there are many older devices for iPods etc, that are based on the 12V power that Firewire uses, and if the device can't charge on Firewire, these devices won't charge the device. Also, many people use all their USB ports for other things, but have extra FW ports, so why not use it for other purposes.

TEG

BTW - I'm fully aware of the age of this thread. It just required comment for the thread digger.