Can iWeb '09 create login pages? I want to create restricted access t

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by PaulCal, Feb 10, 2010.

1. PaulCal macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I was wondering if it is possible to add a Login type feature for websites created thru Iweb 09. I am considering buying Ilife 09 to create a simple sports news website, but would like the feature of having a community of users log in and out of the site. I want to post videos on my page and I wanted to keep some of the videos available to only registered user... is that something Iweb deals with? I have no experience with web design, your help is very appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: Can iWeb '09 create login pages? I want to create restricted access to some pages.

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This won't create a login page, per se, but will ask for a username and password before displaying the page:

Click on the site's name in iWeb (above the first page itself, this is where you access that site's settings). Check the box for "Make my published site private" and enter your preferred username and password in the boxes below that. Now, when you try to browse to your website, a dialog box should appear asking for that username and password.

Now, the limitation here is that you can only have one username and password, and they apply to the whole site. You can't have individual users with different login information. If you need that, neither iWeb nor MobileMe are good choices for you.

jW

4. PaulCal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Mal! that's the answer I was looking for and sorry spinnerlys for the crappy thread title hahaha.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No problem, that's why I pointed it out.
    It happens.

6. James L macrumors 6502a

Where does it store the user name and password? If it is in the html code then it is available to everyone... it would take someone about 30 seconds to find it when viewing source.

To the OP:

You need to use a server side script, such as PHP, to properly process a password.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, it's nowhere in the HTML, it's controlled by MobileMe. It's as safe as PHP methods, though still passed as plain text unless using SSL/TLS.

8. PaulCal thread starter macrumors newbie

First off thanks again for the help everyone.. Now I have a related question. Is it possible to create my site using iWeb 09 and then buying a software such as aMember pro to get what I am looking for? I know I would need to buy a web host and publish FTP... but would this program be compatible with my iWeb site? I've included the link below... Thanks again..

http://www.amember.com/p/

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Nope. Nothing is compatible with iWeb. You'll have to start from scratch. Even if you import the HTML that iWeb exports, another application likely will not be able to handle it in a decent manner.