Can Jailbreak brick an ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KEEWEEMAN-APE, Oct 14, 2007.

1. KEEWEEMAN-APE macrumors newbie

i just recieved my touch and i would like to take full advantage of its abilities while not ending up with a 400 dollar paper weight?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, you can restore if something messes up and you're back to square one.

3. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

Well, if you install the TIFF sploit without finishing the Jailbreak you cant connect to itunes therfore you can not restore.

4. KnucklesMahone macrumors member

Well, i've screwed mine up pretty bad when my computer crashed mid jail break. All my applications crashed and everything deleted. But, i just force restored it and everything is not fine. I'm gonna re-jailbreak tomorrow.

5. simoncoul macrumors member

I unplugged mine in the middle of the jailbreak, and I was still able to do a restore just plug it into itunes and keep pushing buttons and eventually itunes will recognize it and then u restore.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You guys... you don't just push buttons until iTunes recognizes your iPod... you simply hold down the sleep and home buttons until the iPod blinks, then release the sleep button but, keep holding home for about 15 seconds. The iPod will then show an icon of a sync cable and you should be able to plug it in and iTunes will ask you if you want to restore it. Pretty darn simple. It's impossible to brick your iPod by modding the software... you can always just rewrite the software back to the iPod and all will be fine.

7. KEEWEEMAN-APE thread starter macrumors newbie

im some what confused but i think that you guys are saying that the worst that can happen would just resort to restoring my ipod. thanks for the help

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Not true. You can use iTunes to restore the iPod and/or you can force the iPod into restore mode, even after the .tiff exploit and before you finish the jailbreak.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I don't think so... I had a problem where I couldn't restore my ipod on my computer, even if i held down the home and hold button. I had to restore it on another computer and then re-connect and try again. then again i had to restore it again then it worked. so if thats bricking, then yes :p

10. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Related to the subject of the thread: what about future? Could hacked touches become bricked by Apple? What happened with iPhones? Were the bricked phones hacked to run extra apps, or were they hacked to use other networks than AT&T?

11. tm1000 macrumors member

If it was bricked you wouldn't be able to use it ever. for anything other than a doorstop (and because it's so thin it would be pretty useless there)

so no you didn't brick it.

12. tm1000 macrumors member

The iphone is different with it's baseband module (the radio communication module in the iphone). It's kinda confusing to me only because I haven't read fully into it. But the ipod touch doesn't have baseband. You couldn't undo the modifications to baseband and therefore you couldn't revert back to 1.0.2 furthermore the baseband locked itself down so that you couldn't use other networks. So if you had the code for tmobile on there, the tmobile sim could NOT talk to the at&t baseband firmware. Sorry if thats confusing, hopefully someone can explain it much better than I can.

but the hackers are slowly working on reversing this: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-elite/wiki/DowngradingBaseband

Here is more info on the baseband module http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Baseband

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

would it void waranty? i dont want to kill my ipod doing this. as long as you can revert to original then i see no reason not to do this though. im conservative lol

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As soon as you start hacking your iPod you have to understand you're stepping outside of supported territory. If you do something that leaves you're iPod bricked then you have to accept that as "tough" and you can't expect Apple to help you out. Having said that, I've not heard of anyone trashing their iPod irrecoverably (forcing restore mode seems to always work), but I guess it's not impossible.
    For me, the miniscule risk of completely trashing the iPod is far outweighed by the benefits jailbreaking brings but the price of entry is you have to make that decision for yourself, and if it all goes wrong then don't blame anyone but yourself ;)