Can jailbreaking cause permanent harm to your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mobster Sauce, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

Just like the title.

I want to jailbreak my iPhone 4, but can jailbreaking cause things to stop working permanently (like the issue some people had with wifi after using ZiPhone years ago)?

I'm talking about stuff that happens to the phone during the jailbreak process that could potentially harm the phone and never go back to normal (even after a restore)? People's wifi was permanently borked after that ZiPhone incident.

Please assure me that nothing bad can happen.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone Dev-Team, Chronic-Dev Team, and others try their jailbreaks on many iDevices before releasing them to make sure nothing bad will happen to the end user. ZiPhone was based off of stolen code and was used in an unsafe way. That's why some people had lasting issues with it. The only jailbreak stuff I'd suggest to stay away from are things made by iH8snow and GeoHot. Both of which make things that are sometimes buggy and unstable.

3. bizfox macrumors member

Nothing bad will happen. Jailbreaking in itself does not harm your phone, but your choice your apps may do so. Your best bet? Write a list of the features you want and need on your iPhone; read up on the apps that will provide those features; choose the well-established apps (by well-established, there are lots of positive feedback); and install. Don't forget to enjoy your jailbroken iPhone!

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

this is why it takes so long for a new jailbreak to come out after each firmware update. they keep checking it for bugs. they dont want to put anything out that has issues. so you can feel secure you will be fine. if this was not the case you would see thousands of people raising hell about it.

you can do it! :cool:

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

the positives far out way any negatives IMO. Nuff said!

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

As mentioned above, stay away from the bad jb and the pirate software.
    After every new jb is released, you'll see multiple posts about it from people who are having either success or problems. That's what I am doing personally. I'm deciding if I want to use pwnage to install 4.2.1.
    You always have the option of restoring your phone from a jb.
    The only installable software that causes permanent change to your phone is the ipad bb unlock. This can't be reversed; it's something that has to be taken seriously.

7. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

I went ahead and jailbroke my iPhone anyway.

Hope it's all good. :p

I did it just to disable multitasking.

8. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

What is iPad BB unlock?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's for the not-so-bright users of 3G and 3GS who updated their iOS. In essence, when you update your iOS, you also update your bb (which determines your ability to unlock).
    However, if you're willing to install the ipad bb, you can unlock your 3G/3GS with ultrasnow. Unfortunately, you can never take it into Apple for service. It's a clear and obvious sign you hacked your phone. You can't get rid of it when you restore your phone. Also, you can never install a normal firmware; you must always install a custom firmware.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Wait until you discover mywifi ;)

11. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

What am I going to do with that?

I don't own a laptop or an iPad.

12. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

That's funny, one of the best jailbreak software packages I've used was made by GeoHot.

The guy is a genius, knows what he is doing, and has made some cool stuff, and you're saying people should "stay away" from things he's made?

Do you work for Sony or something?

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Agreed.

Greenpoison gave me some more issues (initial reboot crashed and the Cydia store loader not working) compared to LimeRa1n.

14. adityarane macrumors newbie

Nuff Said :)..GeoHot..Blackra1n = Genius

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Jailbreakme.com gets my vote for easiest and best Jailbreak I have done no issues. I am grateful to all the jailbreak Devs and unlockers. I could go with out the drama crap though! :rolleyes:

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Oh, yes, all hail King Geohot! Everyone must worship him!! Bend thy knee, knave or die. Some people must have truly empty lives. :rolleyes:

17. meechy macrumors 6502

Why? :confused:

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Be very wary of using that unlock. At the current time, that is the only hack you cannot "write over" by returning to the current version of stock Apple firmware. Plus, it will kill your GPS.

19. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

it got me laid; true story. You'd be surprised h0w grateful girls can be at coffeeshops who need wifi :)

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was wondering the same thing. It's easily my most used feature.

21. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

That's ironic. A couple years ago all people did was complain about no multitasking and jailbreaked their phones just for that feature and you jailbreak to disable it.

22. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Once my 3GS almost exploded but I time traveled and stopped it.

:)

23. Mobster Sauce thread starter macrumors member

I never wanted multitasking in the first place. Plus, my iPhone runs better with it off.

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It will come in handy ;)

25. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Ha, the first few versions of that were buggy as hell and I was never a huge fan of the hobbit on my screen while it installed.