Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5s with IOS 7.0.6, and see that I now can't upgrade to anything except the non-jailbreakable 8.3.

The only reason I jailbreak is to use iFile to silence the camera shutter sound (on Japanese iPhones you can't silence it unless you JB), and also to use f.lux and a couple of other small tweaks.

But I've now seen things like OpenAppMkt which seems to claim to be a workaround, but there are so many scammy-looking sites talking about it that I can't find accurate information to know if it will do the job or if it's to be avoided.

Does anyone know if iFile and f.lux can be used on an iPhone running IOS 8.3 through OpenAppMkt and its Cydia app?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5s with IOS 7.0.6, and see that I now can't upgrade to anything except the non-jailbreakable 8.3.

The only reason I jailbreak is to use iFile to silence the camera shutter sound (on Japanese iPhones you can't silence it unless you JB), and also to use f.lux and a couple of other small tweaks.

But I've now seen things like OpenAppMkt which seems to claim to be a workaround, but there are so many scammy-looking sites talking about it that I can't find accurate information to know if it will do the job or if it's to be avoided.

Does anyone know if iFile and f.lux can be used on an iPhone running IOS 8.3 through OpenAppMkt and its Cydia app?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

You say that on a japanese iPhone, you can not silence the shutter sound? What happens if you flip the switch on the side? Does that also not silence it? Is that because of some silly privacy law, so that people know you are taking a photo?

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
You say that on a japanese iPhone, you can not silence the shutter sound? What happens if you flip the switch on the side? Does that also not silence it? Is that because of some silly privacy law, so that people know you are taking a photo?

Yes, it's a Japanese privacy thing.
Apparently it's to prevent creeps from taking pics up the ladies' skirts on the train, etc. At least creeps who dont jailbreak ;-)
Funny thing is that they don't have the same rule for digital cameras, just the the cameras in phones.
I have family in Japan and it took us a while to figure out why they could never turn of the shutter sound!
I believe you can still use 3rd party camera apps that don't make a sound.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
3rd party apps don't seem to help, as the shutter sound is due to a firmware modification in Japanese phones.

Looks like I'll just have to wait for a jailbreak for 8.3. And next time I upgrade, buy the handset overseas!

That's why I was after some way of using iFile. SO are people saying that things like this definitely don't work?
http://www.cydiarepo.com/526/download-ifile-iphone-without-jailbreak/

All scams. Mostly clickbait or just regular ripoffs
There is no JB out for 8.3 (yet) and you cannot install apps another way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.