Can Keynote or Powerpoint Do This?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jetheat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I like the animations etc... used in this presentation.

Is it possible to do this using Keynote or Powerpoint? Anyone know how it is done?
    Here is the YouTube video - http://youtu.be/W9NSXz2t9vM

Which software is used to make this type of presentation?

JH

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I doubt Powerpoint or keynote was used to put that together, looks to be a video animation project using something like Apple Motion or Adobe After Effects. Its possible some of the more sophisticated animations where done in Motion or After effects and then worked into a Keynote or Powerpoint project, but it is a professionally put together presentation.

Given how smooth the animations are I think is was all done in something like Motion or AE.

3. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Definitely not done in PPT or anything. Definitely something more advanced.

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Probably After Effects, since nobody uses Motion, with the exception for the casual user who doesn't want to pay for/learn AE. It's fine for a PowerPoint presentation, but a lot of the motion is pretty jerky and not very smooth, to the point of it looking like a bunch of PowerPoint builds.

If you really wanted to, you could probably take the time to do about 90% of this in PowerPoint or Keynote, though.

All of the said, in terms of PowerPoints, it looks pretty good.

5. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

How long would it take me to learn AE from scratch so I can make a similar presentation?

6. James Craner, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

A lot of the animation would have been built from scratch. To be honest it is not just about learning the program, but the use of design and typography as well. That was probably put together by a professional with years of experience in that type of work. AE is a professional level motion and graphics program. Unless you intend to make a career out of it, I would not suggest it is worth it. It is also a petty expensive piece of software as well.

To learn AE I guess you could take a course or maybe use the Lynda.com tutorials. Adobe have some good classroom in a book self study courses as well. In theory you could learn how to use the app in a few days, but you would need some experience as well, in terms of knowing what to use were and when. That takes a lot longer.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The video would not have been put together in an hour. Even a pro would have spent hours putting this together. As for learning After Effects, it would take you some time to learn how to do a video like this. It would probably take Photoshop or Illustrator as well to build some of the artwork used and imported into After Effects.

Just coming up with the concept alone would have taken hours. Then creating everything for it, placing it in order and then fine tuning it.

The learning curve with these programs is not just a couple of hours. I am an intermediate with Adobe's programs and it would take me a full-time solid week to put something like this together. And that is at least having some knowledge of the programs. It is learn-able, but you will need a few weeks depending on how fast you can pick it up. Plus you will need some design skills, which is something that is not learned over night and takes many years to really become good at.

If you are not in a hurry to do whatever it is you would like to do, it is worth learning. It has helped me in my graphic and web design business over the years. I do not use AE all the time but when I do need it, it is helpful to know.

Good Luck with the learning adventure should you try it.

8. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

OK, is there anything online which I can use that has a drag and drop interface to make similar presentations without the technical knowledge and experience of putting something like that together?

I'm familiar with Powtoons. Anything else?

JH

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

As stated by everyone, this was done using professional software by a pro. I can not think of anything off the top of my head that would do a video of that quality that is free or cheap. Hopefully someone on the forums will have some suggestions for you.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

What do you want to produce? You can do a lot with Keynote, that is not as fancy as the video you linked, but if you are trying to produce a good clear presentation that people will remember you can do a lot without having to use fancy animation. In fact animation can actually detract from the message.

Steve Jobs was a recognised master of presentations and he just used Keynote.

11. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

I really am looking for fancy animation. If there is an online service that I can use easily, I'd do that.

JH

12. jules.vincent macrumors newbie

Have you tried prezi? a friend of mine did a presentation with that and i was blown away. youtube will show you examples i.e.:prezi sample

13. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

Prezi doesn't really flow with animation. It simply zooms in and out of still images and text.