can late 2008 macbook work with a TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macswitcha2, Dec 29, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

My macbook display is just too small for watching movies at my girl's pad, so I was wondering if I can connect the macbook to her Toshiba TV (non-flat pannel/HD)? What adaptor or connector do I need?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Is a MacBook or a MacBook Pro?

Here in www.monoprice.com, you can check for different adapters and cables.

Any Mac can be connected to a TV is just a matter of having the right adapter/cable.

For example, for a late 2008 MacBook Pro:
    MiniDisplay Port to HDMI
    MiniDisplay Port to VGA
    Audio: TOS link audio to the home theater, or a simple audio cable like from an ipod to a small speaker set.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it is an aluminum macbook which they discontinued. In other words, its really a macbook pro but without the firewire port and SD slot.

I have a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter that I used when doing power point/key note presentations via a projector. Is'nt there something else I need in order for that to work?

4. macswitcha2, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

One more thing, in terms of connecting to a basic TV (non-HD, Flat panel), would a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter work? Is there a connector from VGA to the TV? I was looking on monoprice and don't know what to actually look for given that there are hundreds of cables to choose from.

5. mnemonicj macrumors member

mnemonicj

If your model is the 5,1 (late 2008, which is the one I currently have) yes you can. You can either use an HDMI or a VGA connector. I currently have an HDMI adapter and it works swell, although this model does not support audio throught HDMI.

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that the TV is basic, just a traditional analogue TV. Do I have to get a converter box?

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

You really need to look at the back of the TV and see what connectors there are. It MAY have a VGA input, but probably not. You are asking us some questions that only you can answer.

See what connections it can accept and go from there.

8. happle macrumors 6502a

i have a brand new cable for your macbook that connects to an hdmi cable. ill sell it to you cheap if you want it. pm me

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

It's a non-HD TV, it's highly doubtful that it has HDMI.