Can Latest 2010 MBP's load mini-cd's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I know last time I checked on this a few years back apple's superdrive could not load a mini-cd.

I am wondering fast forward a few years if this situation has changed an Apple's MBP superdrive can miraculously load a mini-cd?

Have no found an answer to this question for newer MBP models, so has anyone tried it?

I have one sitting next to me and want to stick in in there, but have a feeling I will regret it (hmm I have thought of that one before haha)

2. raxafarian macrumors regular

3. moel macrumors 6502

NO don't do it!

Go and get an external drive to use mini-cd's or share it from another mac. But DO NOT put it in.

4. piwi macrumors regular

They don't. It's written somewhere on Apple's website

5. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

There are no mac that can take mini-cd because they all have slot-loading drives. iMac G3 was the last mac that had a "regular" drive what i know of.

And i highly doubt that there ever will be a slot-loding drive that could take a mini-cd.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The Mac Pro still has tray loading optical drives.

7. RJaMmin macrumors newbie

Re: Mini-cd

It wont work & it may damage your superdrive. Getting it back out could be a challenge & might require taking it in for service.

8. lordofuo macrumors regular

The Nintendo Wii has one. :D

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Page 72 of the MacBook Pro User's Guide that came with your MBP:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

MacBook laptops haven't supported anything other than full-size disks since they were introduced.

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The last two or three Kenwood decks I've had in my cars have had slot-loading drives in them that accept mini-cds. You can "feel" the resistance as the mini-cd sort of "guides" itself into the proper space in the slot.

12. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

OK, i know the old G5 had that, but thought that the changed that on Mac Pro

ohhh.. really didn't think that was possible.

Then you wonder why doesn't all drives in modern computers support it? hmmm...

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When was the last time anyone used a mini-cd for anything that wasn't horribly outdated? Thats why. As fast as optical is dying, mini discs for optical simply never should have been around.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All iBook G4, PowerBook G4, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and many iMac optical disc drives are called slot-loading drives, which means the disc is drawn directly into the computer rather than being put on a tray that is pulled into the computer. Apple computers come with several different types of optical disc drives, including CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo drives", and DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrives".

15. wsippel macrumors newbie

The specific technology Nintendo used to do this was actually developed and patented by Nintendo, because similar approaches used in other drives were too fragile for their liking. It's one of the reasons the drive is by far the most expensive component of the console. And I'm not even kidding. Money well spent - it's as awesome as it is useless... :rolleyes: