Can Leopard be installed on former Windows machines?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mid-life-crisis, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mid-life-crisis macrumors newbie

I am a lifelong Windows user who has "had it up to here" with Microsoft. I have a considerable investment in hardware, obviously, so I am considering going over to Linux.
    Someone told me that I should consider Leopard. That because Macs now use Intel processors, I could install Leopard on all my current Windows PCs. Is this true? If so, how difficult would it be to set it up as a dual boot system so I can slowly wean myself off of Windows?
    Thank you.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its against Apple's EULA.

Its not to tough, assuming that you have the right hardware. Its not good though, unoptimised hardware, problems with updates and incompatibility. I recommend Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Technically you can but you would be breaking the license agreement. The term is called hackintosh and the results are variable in terms of stability.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

you can't (legally) install leopard on old windows hardware. It would have to be a Mac, old or new.

You can however install windows on a mac with a really simple dual boot system.

If you look hard enough on the net you will find people who have installed OS X on 'generic PC hardware', but its quite invloved, so if you want, go search.

EDIT: Damn you psychofreak, your soo damn fast!

5. mid-life-crisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the quick responses.
    I am not interested in hacking an install just to change my OS.
    Looks like Linux it is, although I will check Ubuntu before I do anything, as that has also been recommended by others.
    Apple is missing the boat here. They need to develop something to give Windows users an alternative without having to buy new hardware. If they released something that made it easy to set up a dual boot on current Windows machines for a reasonable price, more people might try it and when the time came to replace their hardware, just buy Apple. I'll bet they could get a great many converts that way.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

7. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

Perhaps. Apple is smartly "not going there" due to the hardware compatibility hell they would be getting themselves into. Microsoft painted themselves into a corner when it comes to legacy hardware.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Perhaps they just chose to stay on their own boat. ;) Anyway, OS X on non-Apple hardware has been discussed to death (and then some). I say, if you really want to give OS X a try, go ahead and use a hacked version on your PC (perhaps buy a copy as to not be pirating it, even if still breaking the EULA), even thought the experience might not be all that great, you could at least see it. Just don't let that be your benchmark for how good it is.

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Your source has the info confused. With Intel Macs, you can now run Windows on an Intel Mac, not run Mac OS X on a Windows box.

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

bingo!!! OSX exists to sell macs- iTunes music store exists to sell iPods.

more profit and control in hardware is a good thing for Apple. letting people easily install OSX on any computer they want would be a huge mistake- assuming Apple wants to continue making and selling macs for a profit that is. its nice that people actually feel strong enough about apple to put them up against MS- but I think apple & MS like things the way they are.

if anyone hasnt had a chance to check out apples business structure you really should. they're a very intriguing company from a business standpoint- both today and during the times when they were struggling to find a direction.

11. mid-life-crisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points all around. I hadn't considered the ungodly amount of drivers that would have to be written for all the Windows compatible hardware out there now. Also the fact that if customers could put Thundercat - the next gen - (loved that thread!) on any PC, why buy the Apple hardware?

Add this to the Thundercat list.
    Can move in to any computer of any previous configuration and smoothly assume control (like any smart cat in a new house).

Almost forgot: Sesshi, I have a mix of XP and Vista in my home. My wife works from home for a clinical trials company and I ended up being her tech support because the outside firm they hired is incompetent. I therefore have my Vista Home Premium laptop, her Vista Business laptop, her personal XP Home desktop and my stepson's XP Home laptop to support. I obviously maintain the home network as well, which is a mixture of hardwired and wireless.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

apple refurb

You can't install it on a pc, but if you buy a new or refurb mac, it'll come with Leopard.

store.apple.com
    For new or

For refurb
    look for "Refurbished Mac"
    see if you can find a refurb Mac Mini (sometimes available for as low as $429)
    otherwise you can get a brand new Mac Mini for $599
    it comes with Leopard

If your budget is a little higher, then you should look for a refurb iMac