Can Leopard Upgrade be used on different machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by md63, Oct 16, 2007.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

If I purchase a Mac Mini now and receive Tiger on the computer and the upgrade disk seperately, can I instead use the upgrade on a MBP? I'm not planning to use it twice but would rather use it on the MBP.

Thanks

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

as far as i know, yes you could do that. i don't think it's technically legal, but i don't see how they could find out

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You can do it. But it won't be considered legal.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Massive Edit: From the t&cs

The Mac OS software and the Right to Copy must be used solely with the products that qualify for this offer.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i told you it wouldn't be legal ;)

7. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your comments. From a technical standpoint would it be possible to install on my MBP? Does Apple verify these upgrades like MS?

Thanks

8. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

If you want to use it on your MBP, buy a license. The price is very reasonable.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

The dvd supplied with the Mini will only work on Mac Minis.
    It is machine specific.

10. projectle macrumors 6502

Usually, that only applies for the discs that ship WITH the computer, not the upgrade releases...

Not that it isn't very possible that this time around, Apple will only ship people the device-specific upgrade discs.

This would be very easy to do as there have not been any product refreshes lately. As long as they don't put out any product refreshes on the day of the release, they certainly could take this route.

11. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

That in no way makes it any more legit though. I guess I just get really frustrated when people try to circumvent the license agreement. Coming from a PC background, it is just outrageous what you'd find yourself paying for Microsoft licenses and then you have to deal with all the crap of license codes and product activations. The family license at only $199 is really a tremendous deal if you want to use Leopard on more than one machine in your household.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

but they dont track it in any way? it's just the honor system

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes they do. we will not help you here. stop trying to break agreement. you are the reason they increased edu prices...

no they really dont if past is any indication

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

I bought a G4 Mini with Panther installed on it and a Tiger update DVD in the box. It was just after Tiger was released. The DVD I got checks to see that you are installing it on a Mini. It is not a retail version of Tiger.

I don't know what Apple will do this time around. No one here does. We can only guess.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i gotcha. but for the record, i'm not the one who started this tread

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha true. sorry i just skimmed the thread. but seriously people dont realize that by taking adv of the system will make apple do activation and crap

17. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see what the problem is with installing the upgrade disk on a different computer as long as its only done once. Yes its violates the licence agreement, but actually what is the harm to Apple.

Based on my understanding of Apple software, it seems one could buy a single licence agreement and install on multiple machines and split the cost with friends. Also, it appears that Leopard will appear on download sites based on what I'm reading on-line I'm actually willing to purchase another Mac, however, my preference is to install Leopard on a different computer. but only install it once.

18. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would prefer if Apple used activation codes. All the software on my computer is legal. I wonder how many people on this site can say that. How many people have no problem downloading illegal copies of Windows, Parallels, etc, but bitch about violating Apple licencing aggreements.

I asked the original question because if I have a Leopard upgrade, Apple should not really care on which machine I place it as long its used one. They made money on two computers, why do they need to make additional money on a new OS when I'm willing to run one computer with Tiger and one with Leopard. I would prefer activation codes with some flexibility in where I can put the software.

19. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

The only reason you are getting an upgrade offer is because you purchased a system within one month of a new OS being released. In all fairness, circumstances might have been such that if you had waited a few weeks, said system would have come with a new OS, and so Apple offers it to you for next-to-free. This is the ONLY reason you have been issued the offer and no you don't have a right to use it on a different machine because frankly, when you bought that other machine, Leopard was not on the horizon.

20. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then I'll take my chances :rolleyes:

21. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

im confused

Hi all.
    Forgive my ignorance, but if i do a clean install of leopard, how does it know what machine I am using. From what i see, the install disks that come with my laptops/imacs/mac pro all have a different 'disk 1' and the same 'disk 2' I assume on disk 1 is all the hardware specific things.. and disk 2 is generic.

Am i thinking too 'windows' and that the install is intelligent to know what the machine is, and then install the relevant applications/shortcuts/keyboards etc?

Is it better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade? Or am i thinking too 'windows' again?

Cheers!