Can lights in the backlit keyboard die out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 9, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Can the lights in the backlit keyboard of a MBP die out after some time? Sort of like how a lightbulb in a lamp dies out and needs replacing?

If so, an this happen to individual keys, or the whole keyboard at once? How do I go about replacing it if this happens? Is it a common problem?

Thanks.

2. lapino macrumors regular

I don't think so. I suspect the keys are lit with little leds and those just do not die down.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am confused... has this already happened to you?
    Or are you just scared of a "blackout" in the future and you preparing now?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

They're LEDs. They will probably die out only a few years after the computer is unusable. :)

They are part of the keyboard, so if it die, you will need to replace the complete keyboard, if it's an older Macbook Pro. If it's a unibody model, you'll need to replace the whole uppercase (Part which include the keyboard and the sheet of metal with the port hole and the trackpad).

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The logic board will die long before the LED backlighting dies...

6. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I asked because my March 2008 17" MBP (2.5 GHZ Penryn, 250GB HDD, 2GB Memory, Multi-Touch w/ normal size trackpad) has some keys that don't light up anymore. But I just sent it in before the end of the warrantee to take care of that.

There are no other issues or problems with it. I did not even really notice some of the keys not lighting up, but I was doing a hardcore check of everything to make sure its in working order because I plan to sell it since I got the new 17" UMBP.

I'll probably sell it off for like $1250 or so just to get it off of my hands once Apple sends it back to me.

I didn't want to go thru the hassle to send it in since there was no other trouble with the laptop ever, but I figured whats the harm? Why not spruce it up a bit by sending it to Apple since the warrantee is ending anyways next week.

Did I do the right thing?

7. xoggyux macrumors 6502

probably when ETs come to our planet they will know there was "intelligent" life on earth when they discover functioning LEGs... Those are for ever, LEDs, Death and Taxes....

8. kolax macrumors G3

LED's can last up to 100,000 hours, possibly more (depending on build).

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Send it to apple, see what they say, if they'll repair it, you're onto a winner really...

10. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I just sent it in via their pre-paid box with free overnite shipping