Can liquid be dried out of Ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kuro37, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Kuro37 macrumors newbie

Recently I allowed my young daughter to play with my ipod touch. She fell asleep with it and had a accident which caused urine to get into my Ipod. I had to restore it and now the light keeps flickering on and off. When the light doesnt flicker I can barely see whats on my Ipod. It still works apparently so I was wondering if drying it out would help and if so, how would I do it? Thanks.

2. jwt macrumors 6502

Answer: Yes.

I accidentally put my iPod touch through a wash cycle. It wouldn't turn on afterwards and it was completely full of water. Urine contains electrolytes, and those conduct electricity and are what is causing the problems. To get the electrolytes out, you have to do repeated submersions of the iPod in distilled water. I did 6 submersions with the stuff you can buy at any grocery store, followed by several more with the stuff I can get from work (I'm a chemist), which is as good as you can get, followed by some other stuff that I wouldn't recommend you try. The iPod dried out and still works like a charm a year later.

3. PhatboyNYC macrumors newbie

That's really odd that urine got into your ipod unless your daughter was literally peeing onto it. lol

4. Bleak macrumors member

I think the real question is, why are you still planning on using a pissed on ipod touch?

5. Aero26 macrumors regular

In short yes. In reality, if it's significant enough to be visibly demanding to be blow-dryed, it's probably going to leave a mark on the LCD in the best case.

6. Kuro37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks JWT ill take your advice. BTW bleak, these things are expensive and cant easily be replaced by some people. Grow up.

7. Abscissa macrumors regular

I guess rinsing it in water would be hard to force yourself to do, but afterwards (make sure its OFF!) stick it in a bag of instant rice for a week.

8. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

Unfortunately your Touch is probably ruined. I sounds like the urine is in the sleep switch, or the function button. Once the urine dries the various salts in solution will crystallize onto the boards, in the switches, and then short everything out. Frankly I would just get a new one and write this one off to parenthood :) . Then in the future keep the new one in a water proof case. several outfits make them Pelican case, Ottercase, etc.

You might try soaking the whole thing in steam distilled water only! not the conditioned stuff. and try and soak out the urine before it drys. Remember true distilled water does not conduct electricity. You should crack the Touch open, this would facilitate the cleaning and drying afterwards. The tools to do it are very cheap and available on several websites. However there are some clips that hold the back case on that are a royal pain, they break fairly easily. I would only do this is you had time and didn't care if you where able to restore it. :(

Remember this, if your daughter wants to run for public office threaten to blackmail her with the story of this iPod Touch. :D:);) Just don't show anyone the picture of her sleeping with it, of course this might charm Steve Job's into sending you a new one........ya right :rolleyes:

Good luck