Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharik14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Hello,

I've been searching everywhere and am stumped by this, and the SDK docs have been no help.

I'm interested in developing a "free" or "lite" version of my ap as well as a paid version. I'd like for users to be able to upgrade without losing their user data that they created with the free version.

If I understand right, the paid version is a different app -- Apple approves it differently. Here's the question -- is there any way to make it share the same Application sandbox user directory as the lite version?

Some apps seem to claim they can do this. I looked at one that has an 'export' feature which exports from one to the next. ??? I have all kinds of disgusting ideas (e.g. encode the data and pass it in a URL scheme from one to the next, or upload to an intermediary website). I hate all of them. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Ben.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I know Aurora Feint does this, but they do it by having a server with most of the user data stored, then tie it to a user name, password, and device ID. Beyond that, it doesn't appear that you can do that according to the SDK.

TEG

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
No,

Each app has its own sandbox and thats that, only other real way would be to store preferences on a server somewhere or (and its a long shot but possible) try and encode it into an image file (say a 2d barcode) and save it in the iPhones image directory, all apps have access to that

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You could also have the full version of your app support its own URL type that the Lite version can open, using a URL that encodes your data somehow.

EDIT: Whoops...I see you had figured this one out yourself.

sharik14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah -- unfortunately those ideas were the best I could come up with. I don't have an associated online storage component, so that won't work -- and the data is a little long for the URL (or Keychain) schemes.

The image is an interesting idea. Maybe I'll toy with that.

Thanks to you all for the replies! Very much obliged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.