Can LTE do Voice & Data simultaneously?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inspirations365, Aug 18, 2012.

1. inspirations365 macrumors regular

Hello all,

With the new iPhone coming up, I'm considering switching carriers from AT&T to Verizon. There are a few pros and cons to both:

Pro AT&T:
    -Never had any issues with coverage
    -Normally strong signal unless I'm at work (see below)
    -Simultaneous voice & data (yes, I actually use this)
    -No problems customer service wise or anything like that

Con AT&T:
    -No LTE where I live (around Philly), said to be coming soon.
    -Not eligible for an upgrade, would have to buy new phone unlocked
    -Very poor signal at my desk

Pro Verizon:
    -LTE coverage in my area AND my job (desk is next to a signal amplifier, so)
    -Good reputation with family/friends

Con Verizon:
    -SHARED DATA PLANS. F this.
    -Maybe no simultaneous voice/data?

So I can make some compromises here and there as long as my general experience is positive. I.E. I can deal with AT&T not having LTE yet and having weak signal at my desk if it means I can retain pretty much what I have going now. However, I'd be up for switching if it means I can data/voice my phone and I'd just live with the new BS data plan mess.

Thoughts?

2. brendu macrumors 68020

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

From what I understand, the newer Verizon LTE phone support voice/data. The initial older chipsets in Verizon LTE phones actually didn't support simultaneous services. I would highly expect the new iPhone to support both services.

4. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I don't know if any company currently used simultaneous voice/data on LTE yet, but I believe that companies currently use LTE for data, and 3G for voice, and these can be simultaneously.

5. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

From what I understand, when you have LTE connectivity on Verizon or any other carrier with LTE, you should have simultaneous voice and data.

However on Verizon, if you are in an area without LTE then you'll be using its 3G CDMA network which cannot do simultaneous voice and data.

This is my understanding, but have not tested in real-life usage.

6. LoloBond macrumors 6502

Per a tech support rep you don't use LTE while in a call... you get rolled back to HSPA+ or 3g.

7. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, that's one less thing I'll have to worry about when it's announced. Thanks, everyone!

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Above is correct. Verizon uses LTE for data and 3G for voice (if used simultaneously). I think this hasn't changed yet (if so, someone please correct me!) Sprint's LTE using LTE for both voice and data though. AT&T has never had this issue, so it's not applicable.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm in Philly and I'm very happy with the iPhone 4S on AT&T network. So LTE or no LTE doesn't matter to me.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Hint: doesn't mean it's deployed yet.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's not & I didn't say it was. Just thought it would be interesting reading for somone curious enough to do a bit more research if genuinely interested.

Thanks for the "hint" though, bro. :cool:

13. ElZeus macrumors regular

Verizon uses both lte and 3g for data, voice uses 1xrtt, eventually it will be Voice over LTE (VOLTE).

14. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Also, four Verizon phones (HTC Thunderbolt, Rezound, Incredible 4G, and Samsung Galaxy S3) support SVDO and can, as a result, do voice and data (over EV/DO, aka 3G) simultaneously.

CDMA can now do voice and data (3G) at the same time, if the manufacturer chooses to implement SVDO, which is phone-side, not network-side.

15. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

If you're going to be an ass, don't do it in my topic please, thanks.

I did do a search before I asked here, and the answers I got were not what I was looking for. I don't think I should be crucified for utilizing one of the best resources available for an answer: the community.

If you think my question was a waste of a topic, don't read it and go to the next one.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I wasn't being an ass; I was pointing you in a direction with the thought that you hadnt heard of that tech before. Would you prefer that I do all of the research for you next time and gift wrap it with a pretty bow on top?

If you're so prone to getting your panties in a twist over nothing (and it truly was nothing BTW b/c I was genuinely trying to help), perhaps you should seek advice elsewhere, or take a Pamprin.

17. inspirations365 thread starter macrumors regular

Next time don't make assumptions.

And it was one question. If it really requires "all of the research", then I think that makes an even better case for asking here and getting the short and sweet answer.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, ok. I think I understand now:
    So you're one of those people that are too lazy to do their own work, but when people misunderstand you because you don't explain things clearly, it's other people's fault for making faulty assumptions? And as icing on the cake, you then make assumptions based on their help and jump down their throats?

See, if only you had explained that clearly to begin with, I wouldn't have wasted my time on you and your thread. Rest assured, I won't make that mistake again.

Peace-out.

19. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I have the Rezound and have done voice and data at the same time, didn't know the GS3 could do that too. Thanks for sharing.

20. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

It's cool. This is perhaps the fifth time I've made mention of SVDO here at MacRumors. Even now, over 90% of members seem oblivious to it, since they've never owned a phone that can use it.

The "CDMA Can't Do Voice and Data Simultaneously" meme will NOT die, no matter how untrue it is.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I didn't even realize this until doing some research.

Really makes you wonder why more smartphone manufacturers (especially Apple) didn't look into SVDO functionality when it started coming out in 2010.

22. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for the GS3, but I have the Rezound and battery life is pretty bad. I suspect it is due to voice/data at the same time, but I'm not 100% sure. That might be why SVDO hasn't been more popular with other android manufacturers on Verizon.

23. vistadude macrumors 65816

Does AT&T throttle the LTE when you are on a call? I know they did this for 3G, and now simultaneous data on a call is almost unusable.