Can Mac catch, edit HDR-SR7 footage and burn DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ozruru, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ozruru macrumors newbie

I am going to buy HDR-SR7 as its hde 60GB HD space, but can not see people discuss it here.
    I was told "m2t" file can be downloaded by Sony vegas 7 and other softwares via firewire, then can make DVD.
    I was also told that that DVD burned is not hde but better then normal DVD, as its converted from hde resources etc.

Who can explain HDR-SR7 connect to MAC, how downland edit and burn DVD, what software involved etc.

Many thanks
    Ruru:)

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well it can also record to quicktime (it appears) then imovie then idvd.

why are you getting this?

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

SR7 Won't Be Editable Video ON Macs

Won't work. Get a HDR-HC7. All hard drive video recorders are not supported by anything on the Mac yet.

4. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

I know HDR-HC7 is a very good one as you have said lot on the site, but have been using tape, miniDV over decades, like to change something new such as HDD hde one, also I got HD LCD ready, just need to buy a good DVD player if I can burn a good DVD. do you know when HDD will be ready for Mac?

thanks
    ruru

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Could wait for the next version of iLife (meant to be coming out in the coming weeks) to see if it is supported. I think Final Cut Pro now supports AVCHD (the codec that camcorder uses, so iMovie hopefully shouldn't be too far behind).

But tape still gives you the best quality.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/conten...ions-Review-29388/Comparisons--Conclusion.htm

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

7. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked JVC GZ-HD7 video site, its JVC compressed file format is bit different from Sony "m2t" file can be downloaded by Sony vegas 7( s.b told me so). So good to know people are using different softwares to do their HD footage download edit job. I prefer as hi as possible to keep the Hde video quality.

Now I know "based on Sony imagers of yore, the HDR-SR7 will suffer in terms of video quality. We witnessed firsthand the AVCHD's tendency towards noise , even in moderate low light." thanks the quote! I think people will think more and listen more of other's point of view.

So "Let’s just see what happens in the testing room next month." --- I do hope can get more details from it.
    I wish people own HDR-SR7 can say something here:)
    thanks again!

cheerrs

8. moramicro macrumors newbie

Capturing and editing AVCHD on the Mac.

So far, FCP does not support capturing and editing AVCHD format, the Blue-Ray file format implemented by Sony in their Hi Def camcorder lines: Blu-ray DVD, Hard Drive and the new MemoryStick Pro Duo.
    However, you can capture uncompressed HD video or use MPEG 4 or H.264 compressors to capture compressed HD from any HD camcorder equipped with HDMI connector. For that, you would need an "Intensity" HDMI video card for your computer from "BlackMagic Design" http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/
    Burning HD DVDs on the Mac is still unsupported. But it is hard to imagin Apple ignoring that much longer.

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

There is so much misinformation in this post that I won't even bother correcting all of it. Suffice it to say that burning HD DVD-Rs has been supported for more than two years now, and both MPEG4 and H.264 are not realistic codec choices for capturing through a BlackMagic Intensity and later editing in Final Cut Pro.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 update introduced AVCHD support.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/finalcutpro601.html

11. TanK8898 macrumors newbie

I Own A HDR-SR7

Have to say that when I first opened it and recorded with it I absolutely loved it and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Then when the time came to edite it via Final Cut, I plugged the USB (FireWire N/A!) cable in my Mac and set the camera to PC Mode (or whatever its called). The computer recognized it not as a camera, but as an actual Hard drive which, when opened, contains meaningless encrypted files that are not recognized. Obviously, I was devestated. I read the manual and there was one thing in it that gave me (false) hope saying something like 'This camera will not work on Macintosh computers; however there is a link for a driver.' I went to the site only to find that its a driver for the camera's still images. I attempted to use another of their products to burn a DVD then transfer it; this all became way to complex and I was succesful by using some programs, but the quality was pretty poor and after spending over 1 grand, I think I deserve HD! I also tried importing the video on my Parallels Vista OS. This didn't work at all; getting the camera to show up on the secondary OS was a joke and when it finally did, I couldn't transfer it over. It's too much unnecissary work and not worth the hours of frustration. I'm still furious with Sony. I can't believe they'd be these cheap. Also (as a side note), I noticed when playing back what I had recorded, there's a horrible repeditive click sound (I'm assuming from the hard drive). Don't buy this camera. Don't buy Sony, if possible. Go with Canon or JVC (preferably Canon).

12. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

who experienced hde editing burning from HDD camcorder to Mac?

thanks for this very important infor! I am now reconsider to buy a HDD not for its branding but at least can easier to edit hde from Mac and burn a real hde DVD.
    Please, who experienced hde editing burning from HDD camcorder to Mac.

appreciated!
    ruru

13. moramicro macrumors newbie

Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 update introduced AVCHD support.

I want to thank "zioxide" for bringing to my attention this important update. I had not upgraded to FCP 6.0 becase it did not add support for AVCHD. Now I have a good reason to upgrade.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

I want to appologize to "Rod Rod" and to the readers for any "misinformation".http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif I am not a video professional and I am trying to learn. I would very much appreciat it if "Rod Rod" would expand on how to burn a Blue-Ray DVD on the Mac.

14. tidi macrumors newbie

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I bought a Sony HDR-SR5 at the weekend, great camera but when connected to my MacBook Pro, and nothing. Was about to throw the camera at the TV when google came up with this little gem.

http://mac1080hd.com/

$30 (or £15) for the converter, very simple to use just drag and drop the .MTS file on to the icon and away it goes. Take a little time (10 minute video to 65 minutes to convert) and the files are around 4 times the original size. But it does the job. Movies work with iMovie and Quicktime Pro without problem.

For an extra $30 it worth it to be able to use such a fantastic little camera.

16. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

burn it in Mac -- SD or HD?

Hi scotthayes,
    Great tip:)! just wondering after converting what's the outpput quality on DVD? SD or hde DVD?
    just burn it on your mac or other drive?

cheers

17. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie 8 can catch, edit now?

Finally we got this updated IMovie 8 on market, surprised to see they skipped iLife 7? Now my question is, can iMoive 8 does good job for catching and editing footages from camrecord? could someone kindly advise please?

thanks

18. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Not tried yet, but through Quicktime, perfect...

iMovie 08 just released and says supports avcHD, ordered a copy last night should get tomorrow, so will try and let you know if it's worth getting iLife 08, but from what I've seen on the the Apple website (demos and Steve Jobs' presentation) looks like a must have.

19. ozruru thread starter macrumors newbie

HI,
    can't wait to see your iMovie 8 to cath and edit footages, iDVD8 output the DVD. just wondering what kind of DVD burner you are using? if normal Mac one it ends a (better) SD, or, external hde DVD toaster will do a real hde DVD?

Cheers

20. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just installed iLife 08 and connected to my Sony HDR-SR5 and it downloaded videos as you would expect a Apple app to do, e.g. worked without an issue.

Not tried burning a DVD yet, that will be sometime next week.