Can Mac Mini be use for home theater

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by littlekenneth, Dec 9, 2010.

1. littlekenneth macrumors member

Hi,

I am trying to build a home theater computer. Currently I can either go with PC route, Mac route, or Google TV. I will be using the device to download BT or watch live stream video online. I am looking into mac mini for my home theater setup for streamline video or online download video. I was looking at the mac mini peripheral, I found out that it only have a HDMI slot. At my home theater, I have a HDMI cable wired to my projector and optical wire to my receiver. I can run component cable, but I wouldn't be able to use HDMI port for audio and video concurrently. Does Mac have any other option for me to run separate video and audio source?

I used my mbp to go into one website that my pc was able to watch the streamline video, however, I couldn't watch it with my mac. Are there website that PC can go into or watch the video from that Mac couldn't? Any people experience that before? Thanks

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

The headphone jack is a mini-toslink optical jack as well. I currently have HDMI running video and the mini-toslink feeding audio to my receiver, just like you want.

3. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Will the mini-toslink optical jack support surround sound?

4. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

yes

5. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Have anyone experience the problem that I have that PC can watch stream video but mac can't? Anyway to go around it?