Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yettimillan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Hi, I have a few games i'd like to play using my mac. At the moment i cannot afford boot camp or anything like that so i have to use os x.

Some of the games are new and some are old. Can i just put them in and try to install. On the back it says minimum system requirement windows 95, xp etc and says nothing about mac.

Thanks.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
No, unless they say that they can run on OSX. You could just google said programs to make sure they are not OSX compatible. Boot Camp is free btw, it's Windows that costs something.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
They will not run. If you have a copy of XP SP2 laying around, you can use boot camp, it is free.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
No, you more than likely won't be able to run them on your Mac without using Bootcamp or something similar.

Some games do come on a hybrid disk that supports PC and the Mac, but these are few and far between and it would certainly mention this on the box.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
You could also install linux, then try and run your games through WINE. It works pretty well for older games.

yettimillan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Honestly, I was just wondering.

Oh no Im going to make an edit: there is actually no mention of mac on the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.