can Mac Pro and MacBook Pro share a display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by malch, Oct 20, 2010.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I've got my trusty MacBook Pro to the left of me, and attached to it, the Apple Cinema Display I've used with it for a few years now. Just got a Mac Pro, and I'll add a display for it to the right of the Apple display (I want matte, I think, so maybe the 27" Dell).
    My question is, can I have both my MBP and MP attached to the display in the middle (the Apple Cinema Display)? Maybe with a toggle switch or something?
    This way, if I'm emailing or surfing, I can use my MBP with the extra display, but when I'm editing, I can hit a switch and use the ACD for tools and whatnot and the bigger Dell for my timeline and viewer window, etc.
    Would this be do-able?
    thanks,
    malch

2. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

NEC PA271W has PIP if your interested in sharing a monitor

3. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Yes. I went to Micro Center just a few days ago, and bought an IOGEAR 2-port USB DVI-D cable KVM. I have my Mac Pro and a PC (of all things!) hooked to a 22" Dell, and my 30" ACD hooked to the Mac Pro via that $99 Dual-link DVI adapter from Apple into the mini displayport. So basically, my Mac Pro is dual monitor, and the PC is single monitor, sharing with the Mac's 22" Dell. It's nice that when switched, I can still use the 30" ACD on the Mac at the same time that I'm using the Dell with the PC. (This is also why I didn't switch a single keyboard / mouse combo.)

On the box, it says the KVM supports single link DVI resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz, which is why I don't share the 30" ACD with it, but the 22" Dell is perfect for switching between PC and Mac. Some KVMs support lower screen resolutions, so make sure you check specs against what you have.

There are tons of VGA KVMs, but the selection of DVI ones is slim, and far more expensive. I would just buy another monitor, were it not for the limited desk space — and the 30" takes up quite a bit of it.

Edit: Forgot to mention this IOGEAR model also supports audio, mic, mouse and keyboard switching as well, but I only have the speakers and monitor switch together. I use a Logitech mouse and keyboard with the PC, and the Mac Pro's wireless keyboard and magic mouse with the Mac.

5. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks everyone, I'll check these units out.
    regards, malch

6. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

I have an IOGEAR GCS1784 sharing a 30" among 4 machines. Works awesome.

7. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Cool! I'd consider the 2-port version of that KVM (the GCS1782) but I'm pretty sure my PC video card doesn't support the ACD's screen resolution, so it would be a waste.

Edit: Yep, the old ATI Radeon 9500 Pro card in that thing is only good for 2048x1536.