Can Mac Pro processors be swapped out?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thehost250, Feb 21, 2010.

1. thehost250 macrumors newbie

I'm about a year into the Mac platform after switching from pc. My first Mac was a 17" MBP and I'm looking to get a Mac Pro. Like most I'm waiting to see when the new ones will come out. I have always been curious and just wanted to know can the processors be swapped out like on a pc? I realize this involves mother board issues and whatnot but the processors we're waiting for are the same ones that can be purchased by anyone. I always wondered why someone with say a 2008 Mac Pro could not just simply swap out the processors since the tower itself is still the same. Again, I'm fairly new but just was wondering if anyone knew the answer (s). Thanks again for any insight as I'm trying to really learn and understand the Mac system under the hood so to speak.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The 2008 Mac Pros use will not be able to support the new processors, however it is speculated that the '09 models might be able. No one can know for sure if microcode updates will allow for a processor upgrade, but most have speculated that the die shrink will make them impossible to interchange.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

The '08's would be limited to the Harpertown processors (54xx parts, preferably those with a 1600MHz FSB), as nothing newer would work.

As Techie mentioned, the '09's have the same socket (LGA1366), and can take the newer parts mechanically, but there will be differences that will almost certainly require a microcode update in the firmware to make operational.

Apple almost certainly won't supply the updated firmware to '09 system owners either, so the Gulftown CPU's will only be available in the 2010 models. The only possible solution would for an industrious user to extract the firmware from a 2010, and find a way to get it flashed in an '09.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Man, how many times quoting me does it take to spell my name right? :rolleyes::D:p

(disregard my name's misspelling itself :rolleyes:)

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

So you're going to make me do a cut and paste huh... :rolleyes: I refuse to memorize. :eek: :D :p

Where's the extra h from anyway?

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It comes from me being 12 and accidentally registering for everything under that name. Once you have it spelled wrong on 5 accounts, it kindof sticks :D

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Oops. :eek: At least it's unique I guess. :D But it does seem like you could benefit from a typing program. :eek: :p

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

been down that road through force-fed high school typing requirements, not fun. And that was when I was 12, traditions die hard :rolleyes:

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

So you mis-spelled it and now get frustrated when people spell it correctly? :D :p