Can Mac se and beige g3 share floppy disks?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by iameatingjam1, Jan 25, 2014.

1. iameatingjam1 macrumors newbie

I'm have an opportunity to buy a mac se for a decent price. I think it would be fun to play around with, but only if I can transfer files to it.

I know the beige has 1.44MB drive and se has a 800kb drive are there can be some incompatibilities there. If it is possible, can I use a regular 1.44MB floppy disk? I read that you can format 1.44 to 800 and it will kinda sorta work temporarily as well as taping over the hole on the 1.44s. Would getting a 800KB floppy be a better idea? Can you even get those anymore?

This stuff is a little out of my time period, sorry I don't really remember a whole lot from my last 68k mac when I was 8!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, as long as the G3's floppy is a Apple OEM SuperDrive (the floppy kind) it'll work.

3. iameatingjam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

An OEM disk drive in the G3 can read and write to both 800K and 1.44M disks.

5. iameatingjam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but can the SE read a 1.44mb disk if formatted correctly?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some of them can. The SE was when Apple transitioned from 800K drives to 1.44M SuperDrives. If yours is a model M5011, is likely can as that is the SuperDrive model of the two. The non-SuperDrive model is model M5010.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The original Mac SE came with 800 KB floppy drive. If you have that, then no, it can't read 1.4 MB floppies.
    If yours is the later SE FDHD model, then yes, it will read (and write) 1.44 MB floppies.
    The earlier SEs can (I think) be upgraded to allow use of the HD floppy drives, by replacing one of the chips on the logic board. You can't use the HD floppy drive in the SE without that upgrade chip (known as a SWIM chip)
    And, consequently, no 1.44 floppies without an HD floppy drive.

8. iameatingjam1, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

iameatingjam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the help, it is the model with the 800kb drive. I will try and find an older floppy disk.

Wait... what about connecting the SEs hard drive to the beige g3 as it has a SCSI port. Would that work?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think a connection via SCSI will work. The SE lacks Target Disk Mode and I don't recall a file share over SCSI ever being done. They both have a serial port. You could do a file share across that with AppleTalk.

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Just be aware that the upgrade to a 1.44MB capability cane be done WITHOUT the model number being changed. :)

11. iameatingjam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

screw it... found somewhere selling 800k disks 10 for $15. Think that would be the easiest solution. Thanks.