Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
My question would be, is it fine for the Macbook Air to run Windows 7 everyday even though it was built to run Mac OS.

When I am running my mba late 2011 i5 13 inch 256 gb ssd under win 7 bootcamp it is the nicest and fastest windows machine I have ever used.

Bigmacduck

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buying an MBA in order to use it only to run Windows apps probably doesn't make much sense. That said, though, the MBA's ability to run Windows apps can nevertheless be a godsend.

I agree, but there is a nice thing about running Windows applications on a Parallels virtual machine: Windows apps run much better in Parallels Coherence mode on Lion instead natively on Windows. one such example is Outlook 2010 for Windows. i just love to zoom the reading pane of an email with the Lion 2 finger gesture pinc to zoom. That is not possible on native Windows installations, and it is also not possible with Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac.

So Microsoft Windows office applications are much easier to use on a Mac inside a virtual machine!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You could only run Windows on your MBA, but I would recommend against it since you will not be able to install any firmware updates without the OSX partition.

pjo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
interesting question: I didn't think the day we'd look at Macs the same way we look at Dells or Acers was that near :D

Yes you can. However, your question about it crashing etc is not related at all to Lion. Windows will behave as it would on similar hardware from another provider.

Any updates to the system's firmware (open firmware is what you have before the machine boots - or if/when MBAs get thunderbolt there will be firmware for it too) need to happen in OS X though.

That aside it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.