can macbook change from dual core to virtualized ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hahoha, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hahoha
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

i just bought a macbook pro this year. It is a 13 inch.
    2.7GHZ dual core intel core i7
    4GB 1333Mhz
    500GB 5400 rpm
    the is mac OS and windows in it.

i bought it from school....
    i want to ask is whether can my macbook pro dual core change into virtualized?
    cause when using macbook pro it is very troublesome for me to restart the computer for windows.
    can anyone guide me how to do ?

Thank you:)

2. Makosuke
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

I think you're asking if you can run Windows in a virtual environment... right? The answer is yes, using either VMWare Fusion, Parallels (both paid apps), or the free VirtualBox. The number of cores on the system has nothing at all to do with that capability, though more cores will generally mean you can run Windows in a virtual environment faster. Your machine should be plenty well equipped to run Windows virtualized from within the MacOS, so long as you're not doing anything really RAM-intensive.

You're currently using Boot Camp to dual-boot into Windows and the MacOS. If you're wanting to convert your existing Windows installation to a virtual machine that you can run simultaneously, yes, this can be done--each of the above-mentioned programs includes instructions for doing so. I've only ever personally done it with Fusion, but it went smoothly enough.

You will almost certainly have to re-authorize Windows after doing this, though, so make sure you have a legit copy (and the key that came with it, just in case).

It's possible that you're getting confused by the terminology of "virtual cores"--essentially the ability of a 2-core CPU to "pretend" it has 4 cores. This speeds up certain kinds of operations, but has nothing to do with virtualizing operating systems.

3. WAM2
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Buy Parallels or VMWare Fusion. It wont be as fast at actually booting into windows though.

4. hahoha
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much...
    may i know what is RAM-intensive?
    may i know where can i get the software?
    for windows, i dont have the legit copy (and the key that came with it).
    so what should i do ?
    there are rumours saying the macbook virtualized is more some called " lag" than the macbook that is dual core....is it true ?
    is there a website where it can teach me step by step on how to do it?

ps.....really sorry that i ask many questions cause it is my first time buying a macbook pro and there isnt much friends using it and i am taking engineering and my school dont really help us...

thank you very much !