Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK
Dvd Ripping to iPod or file format on my Dell Inspiron 9200 17" is getting really slow now its 3 years old and i guess 1.7ghz 80g 128mb ati radieon 9700 , 1.5 gig ram is showing its age

So with the update to the macbook to 2.2ghz and 4gig of ram would rendering be the same on the macbook as on the imac 2.2ghz which i have read can render a full dvd in 40 mins using handbrake ?

Size of screen doesn't bother me as long a the macbook can output to my hd ready 26" tv

I guess i can update the hard drive and ram myself a lot easier than the macbook pro

I was going to wait till macbook pro got a blu ray drive and output the dvds to my tv but i suppose that can wait a couple of years and buy a dvd blu ray external when the price will be a lot cheaper

I am not into games never have been so i will use to surf web do video editing and rendering, and i suppose save myself a lot of money

To get what i wanted on macbook pro was going to cost me £2700 at least
but if get the macbook its around £1500 with the extra ram and hard drive and a back up hard drive for the time machine

I so wanted to wait till the macbook pro got updated but if thats going to be the spring 2008 its to long to wait , i guess i have crumbled its just to good to wait so long on

Is the above possible on a macbook or will i have to wait for macbook pro ?what do you think ?

looking forward to your comments good or bad

thanks

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Pretty sure Handbrake-type work is not on the graphics processor, so should be the same as the iMac. Or at least really close.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Pretty sure Handbrake-type work is not on the graphics processor, so should be the same as the iMac. Or at least really close.

correct, its just compressing the existing file, its not creating anything from scratch like with bryce or motion

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The encoding time in HandBrake depends on dozens of factors: How long is the DVD; deinterlacing or not; encoding in H.264 or MPEG-4; audio codec choice and specifics......

But yes as the above person mentioned it is entirely CPU based for encoding. RAM over 1GB does not really matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.