Can Macbook Pro 2 nTB run two displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machappyboy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

Can someone tell me if the Macbook Pro w/o TB can run 2 4k displays AND charge the Macbook Pro? How about this hub?

What monitors do I need to buy?

2. beatlebum macrumors newbie

beatlebum

Looks like you can output to 2 4K displays, but not sure about what hub you would need to accomplish this.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
    • One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
    • Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

3. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Either you buy a monitor that can charge the laptop with USB Power Delivery, or you would need a DisplayPort adapter that provides an extra port for power passthrough.

If you want everything in one cable, IIRC all announced Thunderbolt 3 docking station can drive two 4K displays with varying combinations of ports.

4. killawat macrumors 65816

You'll need a TB3 dock to do that effectively. The Caldigit TS3 Lite is the only game in town, all the other ones aren't shipping yet. You get 1x DisplayPort and 1x USB-c which can be converted to DisplayPort for 2x 4k, and the other port on your MacBook plugs into the charger.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3-dock/thunderbolt-station-3-lite/

5. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Wow, the Caldigit TS3 Lite looks great! Any recommendations for monitors? The Apple LG 4k?

6. killawat macrumors 65816

I would go with the Dell Ultrasharps since thats what I'm used to, but being able to change the brightness from the keyboard controls is huge on the LG. Its the little things.

Also the 4k LG will charge your 13" MacBook Pro.