Can MacDefender affect Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by codefuns, Aug 4, 2011.

1. codefuns macrumors member

Hi,
    I am a new Mac user. I heard about MacDefender, so after I bought a new iMac and upgraded to Lion, I go to safari's configure dialog, but at there, I saw the definition about the safe file, it include music, movie and archive files, but program is not included in the definition. My question is how MacDefender can be executed without user's notice after download?
    And moreover, I think the user will be notified to input admin username and password at any time when an installation action happens, is this correct?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it never could, even on Leopard or Snow Leopard. It could never install itself without user interaction.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. codefuns thread starter macrumors member

Good news. seems I will have an easy life with my new mac.
    I have a notebook with windows 7 specially used for online shopping and bill payment. with that computer, because of being afraid of virus, I didn't use it for anything else. normally I will open it 2 times per month, it will take me 10 minutes for bill payment, but another at least half hour for starting, updating and shut down.

5. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

In the 23 years that I have used Apples, I have never experienced a virus successfully attacking my computer.

In the time that I've used PC's at work even with a very very strong firewall there, I have been infested at least three times.

6. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I was about to install it yesterday but, before I hit the bottom I called Tech Support and asked the technician if it was a good idea to install it. His answer was a big NO.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's a good rule to follow: if you don't know exactly what it is, why you need it and where it came from, DON'T install it!

8. mac-ho macrumors member

I don't install anything. Of course, I can only start my computer and look at wallpaper!!