Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Hello everyone,

I recently installed XP with Boot Camp & then downloaded Macdrive in order to access some files from my Macbook partition.

I have a few questions:

1. I want to make my mac partition in Macdrive 'read only', but I read a magazine writer say it screwed up his computer. Is that true or is that just anecdotal? I heard if something accidently gets deleted on the mac partition when running Windows it can cause some serious damage.

2. I'm using the Macdrive trial currently, but really don't need anything that fancy. I just need to access a rather large amount of text files from my mac partition for a windows based program to read. Can someone recommend a cheaper or better alternative?

3. I'm paranoid about viruses. If I never download anything sketchy (just updates from Adobe or Microsoft) or check my email with Windows, I should be safe right?

I'm new, so any help would be much appreciated. Long time mac user, first time poster. Ha. : )

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
You should be fine. I have been using Mac Drive for about two years, and never had any issues (Windows or OS X). Viruses and spyware for Windows will only affect Windows, it cannot evolve. ;)

kkamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Norton, Macdrive, chaos?

Thanks everyone,

another question:

-If I let Norton run & do disk optimization & clean-up tasks, will it go over to the read/write mac partition (since its set up with macdrive) & screw things up?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks everyone,

another question:

-If I let Norton run & do disk optimization & clean-up tasks, will it go over to the read/write mac partition (since its set up with macdrive) & screw things up?
The HFS+ side is an alien, unreadable/writable volume in nearly all cases. Just don't go trying to delete unknown volumes in the Disk Management console.

kkamin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
The HFS+ side is an alien, unreadable/writable volume in nearly all cases. Just don't go trying to delete unknown volumes in the Disk Management console.

With HFS, can I read from the mac side. I'm using a poker analysis software with reads a rather large chunk of txt files and crunches numbers contained within them. With HFS could it read them directly, or would I need to drag & drop that folder to the PC partition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.