Can MacPro 1,1 run Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by siritalks, Jan 19, 2012.

1. siritalks macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm just investigating this for my brother. At his workplace they have a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with the following specs:

2 x 2Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256Mb VRAM
    Operating system: 10.4.7

Does anyone know whether this Mac will be capable of upgrading to Lion, and if so, if we're likely to experience any poor performance on some of Lion's features?

Many thanks,

ST

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

It can run it, however he'll have to purchase Snow Leopard first and then upgrade to Lion through the Mac App Store.

Performance wise it will se a slight lag on some features but nothing that will make it unusable.

The main question would be does he need to upgrade or will Snow Leopard be enough. Of all the three OS's I have had on a MacPro, Snow Leopard is still the fastest and most efficient.

3. neckarb macrumors regular

It runs perfectly on mine, no lag no problems..

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you don't need to download Snow Leopard first. Lion is a standalone OS.

just download Install Lion.app on any Mac with app store, right click to show contents, and there's a .dmg that you can burn to a DVD / USB.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

You assume access to the App Store.

6. Rokeneer macrumors regular

Yes, it will. I would, however, recommend upgrading to AT LEAST 4Gb of RAM. Other wise the computer will be really slow and won't work at it's best. Keep in mind though, that if you have any PPC native applications they won't work with Lion. That's why I'm keeping my Mac Pro (1,1 - 2x 3Ghz Dual Core - 8Gb - 5.5Tb - ATI Radeon x1900) on Snow Leopard even though all my others are on Lion. IMHO there's just too much good software for it that won't work with Lion.

(Even if you go to Snow Leopard, I still recommend upgrading the memory. Macsales.com has the best memory I have found for it, and that is where I got the extra memory for mine.)

7. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

8. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

If no App Store, buy a USB stick with Lion on from your local Apple Store or from the on-line version. Works fine with a freshly-formatted hard drive.

9. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

He did say that "on any Mac with app store" so he was assuming that there was another Mac with the App store.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As others have stated, get more RAM. Other than that, My Mac Pro 1,1 works beautifully with Lion.

11. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

As it is running Tiger, do as suggested and purchase the $69 USB thumb drive from the Apple Store or online, format the drive and do a clean install. If there is anything that needs to be saved, backup to another drive first.

12. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Are there features in Lion which your brother absolutely need? Has he considered upgrading to SL for the moment, which is rock solid? I just prefer to have my MP just a little behind in the OS for peace of mind, really.