Can MacPro support more than 16mb Cache on a drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoozx, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zoozx macrumors 6502

zoozx

Many people are recommending the Samsung F1 drives for use in the MacPro.
    The 750 has a 32 meg cache!
    Is it wasted cache on the MacPro?

2. Toups macrumors regular

The OS does not specifically control the HD cache, as it is used by the HD to cache information requested by the OS.

Short answer, no, the cache is not wasted and is fully utilized.

3. newtech macrumors 6502

Just remember doubling the cache does not increase the drives speed signifcantly ( a few percent at best ).

4. Reach macrumors 6502a

Just ordered some Seagate-discs, two 7200.10 750GB with 16mb, and one 7200.11 500gb for apps and stuff with 32mb.. I assume I wil be able to use the 32 one, and that it will not be slower at least.. hehe

5. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Yes it can handle 32mb cache HDDs just fine. Like the above said, it is utilized by the HDD, not the OS.

I have 2 Spinpoint F1s on order, just need my damn computer to arrive!

6. 98707 macrumors regular

All this talk about caches.. Help!

So I'm going to keep my stock 320 unlike some of you.. I spent all my money just buying the computer and have very little to top it off. I added a 80gb wd caviar to use as a music drive so I can listen to music while booted into either os.

If I get another disk to use for the 2nd OS what should I choose.. is cache that big of a deal? I plan to have logic and cs3 and office 08 as my only real apps on the mac drive and only games on the vista drive.. My question about cache is this..

Would another drive with an 8mb cache slow me down greatly for games or for logic? Would a program like logic work much much better on a faster spinning, larger cache, or higher density hd?

7. Toups macrumors regular

To test the harddrive you can run something like xbench or similar benchmarking software.

BTW, how do you plan to listen to music before the OS is loaded?

8. 98707 macrumors regular

Good suggestion with the xbench. I will run that. As far as the second part.. maybe I wasn't clear. I just want to have music on the 80 gb drive formatted fat 32 so when I have booted up into either os I can access the music drive and have my itunes play from it.