Can Magnet Damage Retina MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ghsNick, Feb 3, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Hey Everyone -

So my MacBook was acting crazy tonight and I didn't know how to fix it. I would have it open then the screen would go black and no buttons worked.

I could restart anything by holding the power button, the trackpad stopped vibrating and everything went to hell.

I had it sitting on my case (Incase) and then I started searching Google. It said something about magnets and then I remembered my case has a little magnet in it.

I finally got everything working again and I was wondering if I messed anything up on my 12inch MacBook?

Also - can anyone else confirm that it only messes stuff up when the magnet it placed on the bottom left side instead of the bottom right. Thanks!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Simple
    The magnet was in the right location to trigger sleep, even with the display open.
    That is exactly the same as happens if you close the lid on your MacBook. There is a magnet along the edge of the lid, and the sensor is in the bottom case, near the keyboard.
    Close the lid, and you go to sleep.
    You get the same result when you have the magnet from your "Incase" cover within range of the sensor inside your MacBook. It goes right to sleep, exactly the same as if you closed the display lid.
    It's all working properly.
    If you don't want to put your Macbook to sleep accidentally, move your "Incase" to a different position, backwards from your recent position will be just fine.
    (You didn't "mess anything up", and now you know what NOT to do with your Incase. There's only one magnetic sensor. You were just "lucky" to find the exact spot. :D