Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas870

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I just switched to Yahoo's Small Business web hosting, and want to set up my mail account (using my domain name hosted by Yahoo) with IMAP in Mac Mail.

From what I've read (best info here), Yahoo does not support IMAP officially, but they do unofficially.

BUT, to get it to work, you have to be able to send the non-standard IMAP command "ID ("GUID" "1")" before log-in. Is there any way to make Mac Mail do this?

Many thanks in advance for the help. I'm really hoping I can figure this out, as this is the third web host I've tried in the past few months, after the first two had terribly unreliable IMAP servers. I know Yahoo is rock solid in general, and I'd love to have them serving my IMAP mail ...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Two things:
  • In my experience, Yahoo! is not rock solid.
  • IMAP is a standard. If it is non-standard, then it is not IMAP.

jas870

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for the answer. I'd be curious to hear what problems you've had with Yahoo. I've used them for webmail for over ten years now and can't think of a single time I haven't been able to log in. I also read their news site regularly, and other yahoo pages from time to time, and have never had problems. But, maybe I was just lucky :)

Really, I'm just looking for a web host with well maintained IMAP servers so I can have my own URL (I do freelance graphic design, and would prefer not to have an @me.com or @gmail.com type address). I could even live without the web hosting part, although the nameservers have to point somewhere, right?

I had two web hosts prior to trying Yahoo who were terribly unreliable, even though the second (Fatcow) seemed to be fairly reputable. All I want is for my work e-mail to ... well, work ...

As to your second point, I'm merely quoting from the Wikipedia page I linked to in my first post. Here's the quote:

It is possible to get direct IMAP access without signing up for paid access nor using software like YPOPs! or FreePOPs. Yahoo operates IMAP servers (imap.mail.yahoo.com in particular), which are globally accessible. However they require a specific, but non-standard IMAP command to be sent before login is done. The command is: "ID ("GUID" "1")" and it is relatively easy to modify any email client to send it.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I just came across this thread via Google, hoping to find a solution to my Yahoo-POP3 dilemma. I'm using Yahoo for years now, and even subscribed half a year ago. I use Apple Mail on my Mac and read my e-mails on my iPhone as well. But at my university I am forced to use webmail. I cannot reorganise the e-mails for all my clients because Yahoo uses IMAP for its own services. As soon as I get to my Mac, all e-mails appear unread and even deleted e-mails are still there. I have to do all the work again. The unavailability of IMAP access is just driving me crazy. Unfortunately, I rely on my e-mail adress and cannot change at this time. In addition, I'm actually very happy with Yahoo, this issue being the notable exception.

So I wonder, did you found a solution for this? There must be some way to use that mentioned IMAP command.

Regards,

KALLT

firstascent

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I am also trying to figure this out and have searched far and wide on the net. It seems for other types of mail software they are adding the "ID ("GUID" "1")" command somewhere but I have no idea how to do it in the mac Mail app.

Hopefully someone will help figure this out. Im willing to try I just have no idea where to start???

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
Yahoo mail

In my opinion, I can't recommend using Yahoo mail servers for a business.
I have received spam email from Yahoo. I have known people using PCs not MACs whom have had their business account hijacked and then spam was sent to every person in their contact list asking for money to be wired to a foreign country.

I can recommend Godaddy for a POP mail server using your own domain name. I have switched over to Godaddy's IMAP mail server for an additional fee but have had some synchronization problems with SSL and delivery time using Apple's mail client. I actually attribute this to Godaddy's server because Apple's mail client works with a GMAIL imap account.
I am receiving mail much more quickly from Godaddy's pop mail server.

Good luck.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
In my opinion, I can't recommend using Yahoo mail servers for a business.
I have received spam email from Yahoo. I have known people using PCs not MACs whom have had their business account hijacked and then spam was sent to every person in their contact list asking for money to be wired to a foreign country.

I can recommend Godaddy for a POP mail server using your own domain name. I have switched over to Godaddy's IMAP mail server for an additional fee but have had some synchronization problems with SSL and delivery time using Apple's mail client. I actually attribute this to Godaddy's server because Apple's mail client works with a GMAIL imap account.
I am receiving mail much more quickly from Godaddy's pop mail server.

Good luck.

Unfortunately, your solution does not solve the issue at all. I don't want to and just cannot switch to another e-mail address, simply because my current one is heavily in use for a lot of services, contacts and organisations. In addition, the main issue is that Yahoo doesn't offer IMAP to its (paying) customers, and GoDaddy doesn't either (only the more expensive ones, for small businesses). I am looking for a workaround to get IMAP access, since it is available for the iPhone and Android after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.