Can MBP 13 (2012 -- ivy 2.9GHz) handle Video Editing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mischi001, Jun 16, 2012.

1. mischi001 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a new MBP, but can only afford the more powerful 13 inch MBP (2.9GHz i7, 8GB RAM, integrated Graphics).

Can this machine handle Final Cut Pro/Video Editing well? Or is this close to the edge for those applications?

I thought this one was the better choice over the 15 inch ones since the CPU has a higher frequency than any of the non-retina models. How about the graphics? I assume rendering in FCP is still mostly done with the CPU rather than the GPU and that the extra graphics in the higher spec notebooks are mainly for gamers?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. BruceiD macrumors member

Well my iMac i3 3,06 GHz with 12GB RAM handles Video Editing actually very good so a quad-core i7 processor will do the job perfect ;)

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Technically a 25mhz Quadra 660AV can do video editing. Perhaps even some of the Mac II models with appropriate NuBus cards.

The MBP will do fine with video editing. If you are doing a lot you will need external hard drives for additional storage. Consider with the 15" that the larger display will provide a lot more room for your video editing.

4. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Lol

Considering it gets a 2000+ higher geek bench score than a quad core first gen Mac Pro and has better integrated graphics than some not so old systems with dedicated chips.....absolutely

5. mischi001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Cool, that sounds good.

I have a 1 TB WD external HD that is Firewire 800 capable and claims to be optimised for audio and video editing and I will buy an external screen anyway so it sounds like the 13' is the way to go.

Many thanks for the quick and useful responses.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If money is tight consider this, get the 13" base model and save $300. Then use that savings to do your own upgrade by 1) getting 16gb of ram for about $169 (yes, apple does not advertise it but that model can take 16gb) and 2) picking up a faster (about 30% faster) 7200 rpm, 750gb drive for about $110 and use the old drive for a clone backup or sell on ebay. The base model includes a 500gb drive and the upgraded model includes the larger 750gb drive but the slow version. You'll lose a little CPU power but have a faster hard drive and plenty of ram.

7. mjar macrumors newbie