Can MBP handle gaming well?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A Hebrew, Apr 23, 2012.

1. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Hi,

I am curious as to your experiences with the Macbook Pro running Windows games bootcamped. For this post, lets assume it is the famous game of Skyrim.

Can the base 13" handle ULTRA detail on Skyrim? How about high detail?

Can the base 15" handle ULTRA detail on Skyrim? How about high detail?

Considering what are assumed to be true about the MBP refresh, will the newer models fair any different?
    Can the MBP get a decent FPS in most games?

Is it better to play games that are Windows based with a MBP bootcamped or using something such as Wineskin?

Thanks.

2. psykick5 macrumors 6502

3. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

All in all, Macs are not optimal gaming machines. Yes, MBP 15" and 17" (not the 13" though) can run most games just fine via BootCamp, but if gaming is a priority for you... well, you should consider going for a PC laptop.

A MBP 15" or 17" is around $2000 and it makes a suitable-but-not-stellar gaming laptop. For that kind of money you can buy a MONSTER gaming PC laptop.

Obviously, Mac laptops have many benefits over PC laptops, but gaming is certainly not one of them.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's better to play Windows games with high graphics requirements on a dedicated Windows desktop.

5. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

13" can't handle Skyrim at all. Integrated graphics for low details.

15" can handle Skyrim on medium details.

6. kooskoos1814 macrumors member

MBA 11'', HD3000, Skyrim runs at 30 fps at native resolution, graphics low, textures high. Very playable IMHO

7. A Hebrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Skyrim is the heaviest graphical game I would be playing, I am curious: Do you all have experience with the answers you are giving or are you guessing? Because if a MBA can run it I find it hard to believe a MBP has so much trouble...

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Games are the one weak area for Apple. Oh sure you can get by with Windows running in bootcamp, but the high temps will make you quite uncomfortable.

You're far better off with a Windows 7 computer for games. Running very fast & cool, you'll be a whole lot happier.

You'll also save money since the purchase price for an equally configured high quality laptop like a 15" ThinkPad, will save you between $600 - $900.

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

My friend has an early 2011 (I think, still has snow leopard) 13" inch with the Intel HD 3000. He can run Skyrim, Ive seen it briefly. But from the little I saw, it doesnt run very well. Youd want a 15" with a proper GPU to play a game like that, doubtful if the current ones manages Ultra aswell but a whole lot better, worth the extra money if you like games. I seriously doubt an Mba runs it well, certainly not on Ultra.. well ok Im guessing there but the gpu is the same, I cant imagine it would be better.

10. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I got by with Skyrim on high with 30~40 fps on my late base 2011 15" MBP. Very capable with gaming ;)

11. negativzero macrumors 6502